Does Your Sub Rattle Your B-Pillars and Rear Window Area?

Bootbox

Established Member
I just got my sub installed (MTX 10" in a sealed truck box with 500w RMS going to it) and while I'm real happy with it, it rattles the interior panels pretty bad, basically all the panels behind my head, anything plastic rattles.

You can't hear it outside the truck, the way you can when a ricer has 2 15s in the hatch of his old Civic, but I can hear it inside and it's annoying. Does anyone else's truck do this? Did you just put tons of sound dampener everywhere? Did it fix it?

Bootbox

Established Member
Haha nice, yeah that's the plan for now. But I would like to get some edead in there eventually, if it works... I don't want to have to put 3 layers of the stuff in there either, too much weight and $$$

Black Sleeper

Established Member
1 layer of the dynamat with the alumnuim on it will do the trick! I went with 2 layers because Im useing 4 10s. I dont have any rattels inside the truck. I also did the doors and floor. You should be fine with 1 or 2 layers. Mite as well do 2 getts rid of alot of road noise also!

Black Sleeper

Established Member
you can pick up the trunk kit that dynomat makes for like 130$ its enough do do the whole inside of the truck. Thats what I bought

Bootbox

Established Member
Black Sleeper said:
1 layer of the dynamat with the alumnuim on it will do the trick! I went with 2 layers because Im useing 4 10s. I dont have any rattels inside the truck. I also did the doors and floor. You should be fine with 1 or 2 layers. Mite as well do 2 getts rid of alot of road noise also!

4 10s!

My one 10 hits so hard on 80% volume that I can't see straight when it hits. I can't imagine 4! lol, nice.

Thanks for the input on the dynamat, good to know. :coolman:

Last edited:

Bootbox

Established Member
Black Sleeper said:
you can pick up the trunk kit that dynomat makes for like 130$ its enough do do the whole inside of the truck. Thats what I bought

I wondered about that... saw it at Best Buy the other day.

Where did you put it exactly? B-Pillars, back window, and doors? Did it give full coverage in the areas you put it or were you putting it on in strips? What's your sub setup like and did it completely eliminate rattles?

Thanks man :beer:

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Did you buy the box from a manufacturer, or have it custom made? I've been thinking of going with a single ten instead of the thunderform.

Bootbox

Established Member
I bought the box on eBay. This one.

It's the perfect size internally for the sub I bought but it's a bit large, I can't put the passenger side seat all the way back and the armrest rubs on it when I put it up and down for the 3rd passenger. I'm going to the 2 racing seats and Expedition center console setup so it won't matter soon.

Very nice box though, super solid construction. Sounds awesome.

Black Sleeper

Established Member
I had my friend build me a box. cheaper than getting on made from a store. I put the dynamat all over the floors, 2 layers on the back wall. on the back pillers I put a few strips just whare it sounded like it would rattle. I just hit it with my finger, if it sounded holllow, I put a small pice thare. I also did the plastic rear piller pices. Doors I did the same thing I just as the pillars. Plus One big pice on the inside of the door skin whare I could get to. I havent done the roof yet maby this week I will.

Black Sleeper

Established Member
when you go to install the dynamat you should got to an art store and pick up a small 1in roller to help push the dynamat down and also help remove any air bubbels(also a heatgun or hair dryer). also make sure you clean the surface good befor you lay in the matt. when you go to do the back wall, cut a few smaller pices rather than trying to use 1 or 2 big pices. makes life a bit easyer! Bootbox what sub do you have?

Bootbox

Established Member
Black Sleeper thanks so much for the info man, I'm going to try it out this weekend I'll pop back in and let you guys know how well it worked.

I got this sub here.

MTX 5500, not real popular like elemental designs etc... but it's really well made and sounds awesome, no complaints at all.

Black Sleeper

Established Member
DSC_0392.jpg

this is my setup.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Oh BTW, I havent used it yet, but thats what I plan to go with. I have very loud exhaust and two tens that together ratle the interior pretty good... Stan

Users who are viewing this thread