Does your tranny "Thump" when going into first?

Does your tranny sometimes "Thump" when you put it in first gear?

• Yes, it does sometimes thump when putting it into first

Votes: 114 90.5%
  • No, it never made this noise.

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
You're spinning up all the gears/shaft's and synchro's. For kicks: Put your car in 6th gear at a stop and then try to shift into reverse without hitting any other gear. You'll have a career on your hands. A manual trans is engineered to go 1,2,3..etc. with regular input.

Ever driven a truck with an unsynchronized xmission? (Fuller/eaton road ranger 9, 13 spd?) You learn much about the manual trans.

EDUCATION: Learn "double clutching" and "heel-toeing" and why these techniques are employed.

I know, I know. I can come off as really annoying and abrasive sometimes but you'll thank me later.:bash:

Last edited:

beerkat

Established Member
I just picked up a new '03 Cobra. I'm glad to hear that the thump is normal. I have been trying to learn to shift without it thumping and figured out that if I shift while giving it a little gas it does not do it.:beer:

I all so notice the thump when iI take my foot off the gas then step on it again. i figured out that it was some kind of slack. Have been driving my Lightning for the last three years, so it has been awhile since I drove a manual.:)

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
If you rev-match you will not thump on the downshifts.

If you allow the RPMs to spin down (ie. leave the clutch pressed in a couple extra seconds) while shifting up through the gears, you will not get the clunk/thump if you are not running the car hard.

In addition to driving technique, my clunking and thumping is nearly gone now since the IRS brace was installed regardless of clutch/shift style. I figure the clunking is from all the horsepower-torque ... things are gonna move when the gear engages. The IRS brace helps stabilize the diff cover, which may contributed to some of the thumping and clunking.

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
This drivetrain is more loose than Jenna Jameson...:nonono:

Have the "clunk" now, and had it in my 01 as well.

FWIW when I had the gears changed in my 01 the clunk or thump or whatever almost went completely away.:??: Maybe the stock tolerances are a little too much?:shrug:

Anyone that changed the rear gear still have this noise?

2004 Culebra

Established Member
Never had that noise just some trouble putting it into first. All I do is reset the clutch and it is all fine...

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 2004 Culebra
Never had that noise just some trouble putting it into first. All I do is reset the clutch and it is all fine...

How does one reset the clutch? I would like to know how to do that if it makes the clunk go away.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Yes, mine does it. Seems to help if you let the car come to a complete stop, and be off the brakes before you stick it in gear. The worst mine ever does it is when I am coming to a stop, on brakes, about 10mph or less, and try to stick it in first.

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
Hell yes mine goes 'thump' when going into first after downshifting. It also 'thumps' when shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, etc, etc, etc up and down the cycle. I thought I had a pinche bad drive train or tranney but it seems like it's a common problem among us owners. I was ready to de-tune my SVT and take all of the add-ons (see sig) off the Stang and bring it back to the dealer for a complete check up. I'll wait a little longer now to see how it feels. Thanks for this post!!!

~ Fresh :beer:

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
Originally posted by Blk03SVTCobra
How does one reset the clutch? I would like to know how to do that if it makes the clunk go away.

What you need to do is the following:
1) Make sure you are somewhere where you won't roll and put the car in neutral and sit in the driver seat
2) press the clutch pedal all the way down to the ground and then let it come back up on it's own
3) Stick your left foot under the clutch pedal and using the top/ tip of your foot pull the pedal towards where you are sitting. You will feel resistance but pull it until it stops

This helps the clunk when going into 1st and for me does go away, but every once in awhile while moving I will still get it, but this should help.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
It's an old tick on our cable clutches from a long time ago. I warn you though... there are some here who will say it doesn't help. 12k miles and a few adjustments with my foot worked for me. So if helps it helps, if it doesn't it doesn't, but what will it hurt, right?

cobra101

Established Member
thumping my way past 20k miles. The thump seemed to get more pronouned the last few thousand miles though. Nothing too bad or out of the ordinary though.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
Mine thumps too... that's why I call my car a supercharged dump truck... but I love every minute of driving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread