Does your tranny "Thump" when going into first?

Does your tranny sometimes "Thump" when you put it in first gear?

• Yes, it does sometimes thump when putting it into first

Votes: 114 90.5%
  • No, it never made this noise.

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Does your tranny sometimes "thump" when you go into first gear from a stop? I noticed that mine does sometimes, and sometimes its kinda loud and I can really feel it.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
This is what was described to me as "spindown".

To avoid this, wait for 2-3 seconds with the clutch pedal in, before selecting first. Sitting still with the clutch out still spins the input shaft, and when we put the clutch in and select first the spinning input shaft takes up the slack in the countershaft and the output shaft, causing the bump. The T-56 has a lot of slack in it even when new.

This is another band-aid maneuver just like selecting first before engaging reverse to avoid a graunch. There's a lot going on inside that manual transmission.

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
Originally posted by CarpetCityCobra
This is what was described to me as "spindown".

To avoid this, wait for 2-3 seconds with the clutch pedal in, before selecting first. Sitting still with the clutch out still spins the input shaft, and when we put the clutch in and select first the spinning input shaft takes up the slack in the countershaft and the output shaft, causing the bump. The T-56 has a lot of slack in it even when new.

This is another band-aid maneuver just like selecting first before engaging reverse to avoid a graunch. There's a lot going on inside that manual transmission.

When I do this same procedure, as Joe described, my tranny don't thump. Most of the time I can't wait for those few seconds so my tranny thumps. Guess it's normal:shrug:

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
this is normal. just like the "clunk" when driving and letting off the gas with the car in gear.

it's basically just "grabbing" the drivetrain when you go from neutral to any gear. hope that makes sense.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya I have it too, but so did my last Cobra. What cause it? I would be willing to bet the person who voted "no" on the poll will experience it sooner or later, or just doesn't understand the question. EVERY newer mustang (GT, Cobra) that I have driven modded or stock has this thump.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Reason I ask is, because my freinds 01GT had it, and they replaced the tranny mounts, saying that was the problem. That was a different tranny of course though. Good to know its nothing bad.

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Mine does it occasionaly, and also it will be really hard to shift it into first and ill have to let the clutch in and out, or put it into second and back to first to get her in gear

Roush9703

Established Member
it has thumped when i picked it up new with 300 miles on it and is still thumping with alittle over 8000 on the odo. now. waiting for the few seconds after you push the clutch in to engage first eliminates it however like was already said i usually dont have the time to do it. dah well, a small price to pay imo

2814v

Established Member
Hell yes, as long as its not hurting anything the sucker can clunk and thump all it wants.

J15BIG

Established Member
Originally posted by DSG03Snake
Mine does it occasionaly, and also it will be really hard to shift it into first and ill have to let the clutch in and out, or put it into second and back to first to get her in gear

Yea this happens to me to sometimes. A theory I came up with is this - keep in mind I know nothing about trannys - The tranny wont let you shift into first if your goin 60 right. Most of the time when this happens to me - cant shift into first - i have put the clutch in goin like 30, put it in neutral, and left the clutch in. Maybe you have to let the clutch out and put it back in to disengage thos block outs or whatever?:shrug: I dont know im just guessing here...

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
Ya I have it too, but so did my last Cobra. What cause it? I would be willing to bet the person who voted "no" on the poll will experience it sooner or later, or just doesn't understand the question. EVERY newer mustang (GT, Cobra) that I have driven modded or stock has this thump.

Yeah. And it's not just Stangs; any manual RWD vehicle can be made to do it.

nothing

nothing
Established Member
i was also concerned about this so i asked a friend who had a z06 and he said his z06 with the t56 tranny did the same thing and he also mentioned that his wrx did it as well.

so that was a little reassuring, apparently there is a little play in these trannys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread