Doesn't want to fire up after sitting?

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
My 2004 Lightning has been frequently not wanting to fire up. The starter turns over but it's like there's no fuel? At the best I have to turn the key off one time and then back to the on position and let it sit in the on position for a second or so and then it will fire up. The worst case was this morning, I turned the key and it just sat there turning over and over. Turning it off and then letting it sit in the on position just one time didn't help although I only left it in the on position for a couple seconds. It took three times of doing this. This was the worst it's ever been and the truck has sat without running for three days. It also wasn't that cold out today, it was around 49 when I started it. Once it's ran and driven, it re-starts just fine. What could be causing this issue? Fuel relay going south? Low fuel pressure/bad fuel pumps? I've owned four F150's of this era and never had this problem before. There's also no codes in the system... This problem remained after my last fuel filter change so I don't think it's a filter problem.

330cuVert

Established Member
Is it like this? Mine has been doing the exact same thing

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpp1xcc565Q&context=C3cda591ADOEgsToPDskK2uP2xoIQS3QxNcHr9TWNB"]Cold SVT Lightning Start - YouTube[/nomedia]

Thats mine and exactly what its doing

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Is it like this? Mine has been doing the exact same thing

Cold SVT Lightning Start - YouTube

Thats mine and exactly what its doing

Nope. Mine will just constantly turn over and not fire at all. When it finally fires it idles and runs perfectly smooth and normal. Yours seems likes it's running rough and then totally stalling out. Mine is like it's either not getting fuel or ignition at all up until the point it finally starts and then it's perfectly fine. This morning when I went to start it I turned the key but left it in the on position for about four seconds and then clicked it all the way and it started right up. I don't know if I would of had the problem or not if I didn't do that this morning because it's not really every day it does it. Sometimes it will go a couple weeks without doing it then it could be three days in a row. There's no real pattern other than it wont ever do it again right away after it's already been started and ran. The soonest it's done it again (that I remember) is after it's sat for at least ten hours.

I read something about a failing camshaft and/or crankshaft position sensor could cause the motor not to ignite. I replaced the camshaft sensor but not the crankshaft sensor. Wonder if it would be worth a try to just replace the crankshaft sensor as well just to rule that out since it's cheap. I haven't replaced the fuel filter since last summer but it would still do this occasionally right after replacing the filter.

What makes me really wonder is if this problem is somehow related to my other problem where the motor will stumble for a couple seconds when mashing the gas WOT when the outside temps are below 60f? But I "think" that problem is the elbow on the rear intake/PCV line has popped off or deteriorated as there's also oil starting to pool on top of the block. Would a fuel pressure gauge be worth purchasing to test fuel pressure? I wish the thing would just throw a code or something. If it's not throwing codes it can't be too serious of a problem?

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
My 2004 Lightning has been frequently not wanting to fire up. The starter turns over but it's like there's no fuel? At the best I have to turn the key off one time and then back to the on position and let it sit in the on position for a second or so and then it will fire up. The worst case was this morning, I turned the key and it just sat there turning over and over. Turning it off and then letting it sit in the on position just one time didn't help although I only left it in the on position for a couple seconds. It took three times of doing this. This was the worst it's ever been and the truck has sat without running for three days. It also wasn't that cold out today, it was around 49 when I started it. Once it's ran and driven, it re-starts just fine. What could be causing this issue? Fuel relay going south? Low fuel pressure/bad fuel pumps? I've owned four F150's of this era and never had this problem before. There's also no codes in the system... This problem remained after my last fuel filter change so I don't think it's a filter problem.

Same problem here. I trouble shot the hell out of the truck. Fuel pressure, relay, continuity in wiring etc. Replaced cam and crank sensor. Your problem is gonna be the PCM. Mine would do that, I cycle key off and on sometimes it would start. It went months also without starting. Sometime I would go out and try it, fires right up. Turn it off, wont start back. Trust me, take it to dearship,, you will get a code saying no signal to crank position sensor. PCM intermittanly drops signal.
Mine is fix. All is good, cost me 1400 dollars, replaced PCM, Crank sensor, and canister purge valve (due to code after fixing pcm). Runs like a champ.
Sorry for the long reply, but there have been a couple others with this problem and was the PCM. Hope this helps.
C

Users who are viewing this thread