Dog Lovers

DaJoker

Never Serious...Seriously
Established Member
Wife took our dog to the vet for a checkup and asked if dog bones were ok for her. We give her the rawhide and he said those weren't good for the dog, so do any of you guys give your dog these bones? Trying the Nylabone but I don't think it will last long with our dog. What do you guys think?

kingcato

Drunk Ninja
Established Member
Wife took our dog to the vet for a checkup and asked if dog bones were ok for her. We give her the rawhide and he said those weren't good for the dog, so do any of you guys give your dog these bones? Trying the Nylabone but I don't think it will last long with our dog. What do you guys think?

Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard.. I am no vet, but I did work at PetsMart for 2 1/2 years.. Rawhide is suppose to give and keep your dogs teeth clean and strong. The only bad thing about Nylabone is that it is not digestible... it is though passable lol, which means as long as they chew it up good enough and consume it your good.. You should go back and get the digestible nylabone... And yes I know alot about different things cus I was a stocker, knew the store like the back of my hand. Hope that helps

BelvedereGTX

Banned
nope, i dont give my dog rawhide either. that is true vetseverywhee will tell you that they arent the best for a dog. my dogs like the flavored nylabones. the rawhides can get messy anyway.

txyaloo

Established Member
Most vets will tell you to stay away from raw hides because they're a choking hazard. It's easy for a dog to bite off pieces that can get lodged in their throats and intestines. I'm not a fan of nylabones either. I don't want my dog chewing on plastic that they might swallow.

I'll give mine bully sticks as a treat. All natural, but they do smell a little after they've been chewed on for a while. Plus they don't screw up his back side like other treats.

Robert Francis

Established Member
Many years ago I used to give my dogs the rawhide bones, until I read all the articles advising against it. So I stopped doing it years ago.

PressurEngr

Established Member
you can always try the natural route. when the dogs are good i give them an eye round. you get them in the meat section at grocery store. they are about 4 inch round, the center is full of bone marrow and has a light coating of meat around the bone. its about $2 for a pack of 5. these bones can last for months and the dogs love them and there is no way to choke on them since they are big.
Caution: the dog may not require human interaction for days when given these bones

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
The issue with raw hide is big dogs like to swallow the knotted end in one gulp, sometimes the end gets lodged in the intestines, not good. My dog is small, he chews them and shreds them into pieces.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I used to give my Doberman rawhide treats, but little pieces of the rawhide would get stuck in his intestines and make him sick. Since I stopped giving him rawhide, he hasn't had any problem since.

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
The only treats I give to my dogs are called greenies. They are a little pricey but have nothing that will harm them and all natural and all that good stuff. Takes about a half hour for them to gnaw them down.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard.. I am no vet, but I did work at PetsMart for 2 1/2 years.. Rawhide is suppose to give and keep your dogs teeth clean and strong. The only bad thing about Nylabone is that it is not digestible... it is though passable lol, which means as long as they chew it up good enough and consume it your good.. You should go back and get the digestible nylabone... And yes I know alot about different things cus I was a stocker, knew the store like the back of my hand. Hope that helps

For some reason, this post reminded me of the Holiday Inn Express commercials. :D

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
you can always try the natural route. when the dogs are good i give them an eye round. you get them in the meat section at grocery store. they are about 4 inch round, the center is full of bone marrow and has a light coating of meat around the bone. its about $2 for a pack of 5. these bones can last for months and the dogs love them and there is no way to choke on them since they are big.
Caution: the dog may not require human interaction for days when given these bones

+1

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
I gave my dog a rawhide or two, she did not like them that well. But what the dogs do like are Pig Ears.

Bankstitan

Pwns F150s daily
Established Member
Rawhide is def not best for dogs. The issues i have is its really messy and there is a risk of your dog choking on the pieces as rawhide tends to stick to ur dogs pallot. Nyla bones are great. I use to give my dogs that but i switched over the the natural bones. Those are suually best for the dogs. I also give them dental bones and brush them reguraly. Rawhide isn't bad but you have so many other options....why take the risk of ruining ur carpet or getting in stuck in your dogs throat.

Also, If you dogs have strong jaws, get the knuckle bone...its solid and they wont splinter those. My two pitts shredd teh bone so i give them a knuckle and it hold up pretty well.
Also, try one of those kong toys which you can stuff food in. I make a mixture of dog food/natural peanut butter and stuff it into the kong toy. Put it in freezer over night and give it to them in the morning. itll keep them busy for hours.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
My dog is already on his 6th "indestructible" Kong toy. The first 5 weren't so indestructible lol. He loves them though, especially with peanut butter.

Bankstitan

Pwns F150s daily
Established Member
hehe...my dogs have went through 4 each....i even got the heavy duty black ones and they still chew through them. When i take the chewed up kongs to petsmart to show them...they are stare in awe as if its something they have never seen. I do plan on calling Kong toys just to ask them....why are my toys breaking?

and my dogs are still pups...so im sure others are having this problem

Users who are viewing this thread