Dogbone or mottbar ?

1/2 bent

Established Member
That vibration dampener thing is loose on my car. I can wiggle it all around. It moves freely on the upper part where the bracket bolts go through the front of the rear end and part of the IRS frame.. It clunks loud when I shift or let off the gas. Sounds like I have a bowling ball rolling around in the trunk. I see I can take off the weight at the bottom with its two bolts but the bracket it is bolted to will still be loose. Is it ok to take that off? How do I get this off. I have no idea why its loose. Maybe the rubber bushings are bad or the previous owner had some rear end work done and didn't get it tight. I tried to tighten it but the top nuts spin and I cant reach them. Sold my 03 in 09 and have only had this 04 car a few days.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Just take it off, its an 8 lb. iron brick designed to dampen NVH, but everyone says, including myself, that it doesn't do anything noticeable. I have the FTBR kit and removed the mottbar.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I am amazed that thing is still referred to as a Mottbar.... that started on the Corral back in 1996 by a guy named Jack Mott who first took it off his 96 convertible. People started to call it a mottbar and it stuck i guess.

1/2 bent

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I got under the car a saw I could wiggle the rear end up and down. It made that same sound. Front differential bushings are toast as I see a gap in them lol. I ordered steeda front bushings and when I replace them Ill take the dogbone thing off. Those bushings look to be pretty easy to replace without taking stuff off.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Those bushings look to be pretty easy to replace without taking stuff off.

the stock bushings are just about impossible to remove without loosening/removing the crossbar. so it is a little more involved.

and since you will be in there, and if you have the time and money, it is highly recommended to do the rear diff bushing as well

best of luck with it :beer:

1/2 bent

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I didn't order the rears. Guess I will now. After I sold my 03 all ive driven in the past 3 1/2 years is a powerstroke superduty a 7.3 at that lol. So im aching to drive this car with some get up. I can drive it but the noise bugs me even though I drove it 600 miles home.

Users who are viewing this thread