DOHC blown up @ Limerock...

SVTOA

Established Member
So, what went wrong?

I suspect the oil pump gears shattered. Well-known weakness of the 4.6 DOHC and high rpm. Won't know for sure until teardown. I was turning right around 6500rpm when the motor let go. If you look carefully in the left hand corner you can see my autometer oil pressure gauge. It drops from normal WOT pressure of about 90psi to 0 in a fraction of a second. :gt:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
yeah that sucks. and probably a tad more expensive than a 2.5 doing that.........

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Usually when you road race or do a lot of drag racing do you run into oil starvation problems and that damn oil pump gear. You seemed to be really calm in that video, at least you kept a cool head.

Stanger58

Established Member
Damn.... bummer Dave. Please keep us posted as you get into tear-down.

What group/club were you running with at Lime Rock? I'd like to get up to your part of the world and run some of those NE tracks (Lime Rock, New Hampshire and would love to see old Bridgehampton...)

Good luck on your rebuild... HHHHmmmm... just when IS Ford going to have that 5.0L DOHC crate motor available?? ;-)

See you on track! Or... more than likely, SVTOA's CLT...

SVTOA

Established Member
Damn.... bummer Dave. Please keep us posted as you get into tear-down. What group/club were you running with at Lime Rock? I'd like to get up to your part of the world and run some of those NE tracks (Lime Rock, New Hampshire and would love to see old Bridgehampton...)

Hey Jeff,

Ya MAJOR bummer... :mj: I'll be sure to let everyone know what the root cause of the failure was once the teardown is complete. I was running with COM @ this event. Great club, very safety concious and excellent instructors for the students. www.comscc.com
Limerock is actually my least favorite although it's still a blast. It's more of a momentum track. NHIS is wonderful, Watkins Glen, and Summit Point as well. You've got to get out here and experience these tracks sometime. :) See you @ CLT...

SVTOA

Established Member
WHAT DID A NEW MOTOR COST YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Still sitting in the garage on jackstands. @ least I have all winter to decide what to do with it. Right now I'm leaning towards either a forged/stroked 5.0L or possibly a 5.3L with billet oil pump gears and modified oil paths/journals. ModMax has a pretty good deal going on stroker kits right now. I'll keep you posted...

Users who are viewing this thread