Doing Motor swap my-self...

JuiceStang

Well. monday i decided that the only way to learn is to do it yourslef..so i made sure i put all bolts up seperate labeled them lableda ll wires sensors u know the smart things to do..lol..all i need to do now is unbolt the motor mounts, and figure out if i shoudl pull it w/ tranny or w/ seeing how im amd replacing with a diff motor...would it be better to just pull the motor w/o the tranny then slide the new motor in the, then hook up or pull the tranny out w/ motor then hook up outside the car then drop in..what you think???? :shrug:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
What are you talking about??

4.6 for a new 4.6?
3.8 for a new 3.8?
3.8 to a 5.0??
3.8 to 4.6?
3.8/4.6 to 4.6FourValve?
Automatic?
Manual?

mustangbrad

Established Member
Pull the tranny with the motor. It will be easier to attach it to the new motor out of the car, then drop the motor/tranny assembly back in. I am gald to see you decided to do this job yourself, it's the best way to learn. Take your time and be patient, don't let yourself get frustrated. Go into this expecting to do some backtracking and don't be suprised if you end up doing some things twice to get them right. When you are done you will have a huge sense of accomplishment.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Remove the tranny first. You need to check it, the pressure plate, and the clutch while everything is out.

It took me a long time the first time. It gets much easier every time. It's less than a half-day job now.

I always take the hood off. Mark the hood/hinge placement before doing this. You should be able to move the compressor out of the way (which saves re-charging the A/C).

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
I always take the tranny off first as well. My best advice is drop the kmember some so you can get to the two top bolts on the tranny attaching to the engine. I've always found these to be the most pain in the butt.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
stang99svt said:
I always take the tranny off first as well. My best advice is drop the kmember some so you can get to the two top bolts on the tranny attaching to the engine. I've always found these to be the most pain in the butt.

Exactly, the space is pretty tight so I would drop the tranny and then pull the motor.

JuiceStang

thx 4 the feedback guys...yea i'm 18, i know a good amount about engine's and stuff, but i have never done a swap before so i figured it would help me out in the long run, seeing how one day i wanna have my own performance shop..im pulling the motor because the #7&8 rod bearings had spun off, and grinded alot of metal off.so i figured instead of just rebuilting the bottom end and having 94k on the top just to geta fully rebuilt motor.i had a buddy's friend who owns a machine shop build me a new 4.6 for $800...i was hoping ot have it done before i went to daytona for spring break so i could put some miles on her and break it in, just a cruise their.. :thumbsup: thx again..

Last edited by a moderator:

F8LBite04

I break for your Mom
Established Member
I am 20 and I did my first motor swap at 18 too it makes you feel like GOD when you finish good luck with it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
I'm 16 and 2 months ago me and a friend of mine dropped a tranny out of a 94 Mustang GT and then pulled the motor, replaced the bearings/crankshaft, and then put everything back in. Fired up the first try. The feeling of hearing a car you just did a MAJOR thing to fire up on the first start...nothing short of amazing. I love it.

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
What the hell are you guys talking about pulling the trans with the motor? I put a new motor in my 01 GT and it was not bad at all. I left the trans in the car the whole time. Plus i did it in my garage without a lift or anything. #3 cylinder blew apart because timing was to far advanced for the blower on it.

JuiceStang

well im finishing pulling the motor tonight , then im gonna skip school tom and go pick up the new motor, and try and get it installed before i leave for spring break...I know/remember where everythign goes back so how long do you think to put the motor back in bolt it up,hook everything up,and crank her and be ready to roll...what do u think??? :shrug:

nugen

Established Member
My first rebuild was a Honda. It took me 8 months to rebuild the engine, but when I was done I knew that everything was PERFECT because I did it myself! When I was done my mighty B16A2 made 350whp on pump gas.

Just take your time and be patient. Don't force anything that doesn't feel like it doesn't want to go. If it's fighting you then something is probably wrong.

JuiceStang

OK, i didnt get the motor out yet due to the fact i have been gone for a week w/ my cuz mutilator and other friends in daytona having lotz of fun.. i started on it again yesterday and today when i went to go pull it out i only forgot one thing all my power steering shit..not bad though it was my only mistake.but when i got the Intake and stuff off of it..their was dirt and shit in the spark plug holes.this motor was a mess..it looked clean from the top..but when i started tearing it down it was a POS.....but oh well im gettin a motor w/0 miles....oh and i kept the tranny in no problem i had to hold it up so it couldnt fall but i left it in...i got the top 2 bellhouisng bolts off easy..i took my intkae off because im puttin it on my new motir cause its aftermarket...

Users who are viewing this thread