Doing some research, need a little help.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
My Google and search fu sucks.

Can you guys point me to failed motors directly due to stock opg failure? I couldn't find any. I have a theory I would like to test but I need to poll some owners with failed motors first.

Thanks.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Stock or modified engines? You talking about just the pump failing, or it failing and taking out an entire engine?

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Stock or modified engines? You talking about just the pump failing, or it failing and taking out an entire engine?

Any at all. But I would like details of mods and damage. Getting "opg's failed omg stupid ford" is useless lol. Need what oil (primarily), what mods, what rpm/shift point etc.

Me and my brother have a theory but need data to prove or disprove it.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
OK. Finally had a chance to watch. Thanks for the help but it's useless

1). No information. No rpm info, no hp info, no oil info, mods anything.

2). Without seeing tear down (and even then, hard to back replicate the failure) no way to prove if the opg failure was a symptom or the cause. A video during failure would help tremendously but unfortunately isn't there.

The livernois article states that the failure is more likely and they mention it twice when using a cheap aftermarket damper. The lack of numbers of failures makes me wonder if this is a problem created by companies selling a solution, or assuming there's a pattern?

Last edited:

Laztug

Established Member

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Actually not over thinking. Just thinking. Gotta have something to do to pass the time lol.

Thanks for those link. The engine site is good info and backs up what some people think. The thread is just more back and forth with the best info being

NickSezz is correct.
It's the banging of the gears together that causes failure. Super thin oil will allow them to bang together more easily than thick oil. Detonation that shocks the crankshaft can cause the gears to bang together, severe misfire events at RPM that shock the crank can do it. Harmonics as well.
The only Oil Pump Gear failures I've seen from local customers have been engines using aftermarket dampers. We've seen 2 failures in the last 8 years.

Shaun echos what my brother modeled. Basically him and I where discussing weather to do it (I have tvs stang and he has a whipple 15 5.0 f150). If and when I build the motor I'll do them.

Users who are viewing this thread