Done a little bit of work to the car, wow what a difference.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
There is a guy local that is just starting a new business in Suspension tuning. Its a niche that hasn't been tapped into here. He's the only one around that specializes in four corner tuning of drag cars.

He's an old friend, and had him come over to look at my car. We set it up on the scales. It weighs just under 3300lbs empty with 57% front bias. On the front, lateral (side to side) bias was within 15lbs with me in the car. In the back it was a little more dramatic. Somewhere around 55lbs with me in it.

He also calculated center of gravity and the instant center of my car. The instant center is point on the car that weight transfers on. its the "pivot point" when the front end lifts on a launch. Mine was a little low, which meant that it would hit the tires softly. After some more calculations, we found that with a 28" tall drag slick my instant center would be just about perfect for my car. Also, moving the battery to the back would even out the rear lateral bias almost perfectly.

We also measured the suspension travel of the front. I forget, but I think it was 4.5" of travel which is a little short for his liking. He likes for cars to have around 6" of travel.

One big thing we found out was when checking angles of my driveline. My motor and transmission were perfect (-4deg). However, we found that my calculated pinion angle was +3deg :eek: :dw: We figured this was due to me cutting the springs and lowering the rear of the car. He suggested taking about 7 degress out making it a total of -4deg. I went to sears and bought a angle finder and played around with the uppers till I got it.

I went and took it for a test drive and oh my did it make a difference. The rear control arms don't chatter NEAR as much as the use to (i have solid mount uppers) going over bumps or starting from a dig. The car doesn't creek and moan and groan as much. And get this, the little bit i've driven it i have experienced NO highway speed vibrations or whining/roaring.

Also, the car freaking HOOOOOOOOKS!!!! before, from a first gear it would haze the tires up till red line and then blow them off during the 1-2 shift. Now it will squat and I can literally see the front end rising up. The car plants, still hazes the tires (but a lot less) and just plants and moves on the 1-2 shift.

That's all on a 17" Nitto Drag Radial. I can't wait to get some 28" slicks on the car with some nitrous :)

allgo90

Established Member
thats very interesting, all you did was adjust the upper control arms?

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Damn thats sweet!! Makes me want to go grab some control arms and fix my struggling suspension.

NXCaaabra

wobblehead
Established Member
EastCoast5.0 said:
Damn thats sweet!! Makes me want to go grab some control arms and fix my struggling suspension.

me too

i remembered when mine hook pretty good in first on a 100 shot with stock gears( i think) spun just a little but moved, lots of fun, until the clutch went bad lol

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
na svt said:
Doug, what gear will you be running with the 28s and nitrous?

4.30s on at least a 150 shot launching it around redline. before, it was pulling 1.71 short times on 28" et drags. but then again, it was on a shitty suspension that was all fubar so it spun. Dunno what it will do now that it will hook.

However, these are used ET Drags off a low 10sec car. Maybe they are just worn enough to not dead hook :)

I'm looking for some skinnies, though. He says i'll be able to tote the tire a good 7" in the air if i do :)

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
allgo90 said:
thats very interesting, all you did was adjust the upper control arms?

well, i have double adjustable upper control arms from UPR. I had to "shorten" them to adjust the pinion angle.

I stuck a magnetic angle finger that i bought from sears for $6 on the pinion flange. Then I adjusted each control arm a little bit at a time till it was sitting on around -5deg. Which gives me a calculated pinion angle of -4.5. But the angle finder wasn't accurate enough to get -6 but it should do.

yeah, whenever i would get on it it would rotate up. He said he's surprise it hasn't hit the underbody and broke the ujoint...

here is the website of the guy (Sam Daffron) if anyone is interested. He's in the Chattanooga, TN area but will be traveling to big races to setup suspensions for people. The website is http://drinnovations.net/ and you can read a little about suspension tuning for drag racing at http://drinnovations.net/chassis_services

Last edited:

FunkyBoss

Established Member
If you're lifting the tire 7", i'd expect atleast 1.4-1.5 60' times (or lower). I pulled 1.6 with stock suspension and MT ET Street radials, I'm positive the pinion angle was hindering your launch. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
FunkyBoss said:
If you're lifting the tire 7", i'd expect atleast 1.4-1.5 60' times (or lower). I pulled 1.6 with stock suspension and MT ET Street radials, I'm positive the pinion angle was hindering your launch. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks man!! That's what he thinks also, he thinks if the power is there it will be good for a 1.49 in good conditions. Hell, I'll be happy with mid to high 1.5s. Not bad for a full weight daily driven street car ;)

FunkyBoss

Established Member
You're on a new motor as well, correct? Did you get it dyno'd? You may have posted if you did or not, but I don't get on here too often.

FunkyBoss

Established Member
Stock pinion angle should be around -6 degrees. Poly bushings should be -3-4 degrees and solid should be about -2. I'm not sure about the engine and trans.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
FunkyBoss said:
You're on a new motor as well, correct? Did you get it dyno'd? You may have posted if you did or not, but I don't get on here too often.

Yeah, brand new motor with more compression and a fixed imrc deletes (the holes between the cylinders on the IMRC plates were not plugged. They are now plugged.) Haven't had it on the dyno yet. I need to, though I need to see what my a/f ratios are like. I'm looking to invest in a SCT Flash Device with the datalogging built in and then buy a used wideband setup...

But I'm still running on the old tune. I haven't raced anyone from a dig yet on the new setup. Though a couple street races i had people were telling me as soon as i'd hit it there was a huge cloud of black smoke. So I think I'm running pretty rich.

I raced a LS1 Rx7 with a mild cam and he got me by about 3 cars. His car weighs in around 2900lbs with him. Where mine weighs 3456 with me.

Would yall be interested in seeing the sheet that was filled out for my car?

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
EastCoast5.0 said:
Be careful with what you do on the uppers. MM recommends leaving the stock ones there and just replacing with OEM bushings when they get old. Get LCAs with poly bushings and leave the uppers alone unless you go with adjustables. I've read that polys in the uppers can create too much bind on the rear axle.

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
did Poly upper diff bushings, B springs, and adj uppers resently.....checked the pinion angle this morning and it registered -0.5 * so I did some adjusting and came up w/ -4*...car feels much better

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
When you guys talk about pinion angle, your talking about the angle of the pumpkin whether it's pointing up or down right?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, so stock pinion angle is -6 degrees.
How about when the car is lowered? Is there a scale of degrees to inches lowered or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread