DonkeyTuna Strikes Again!

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
I need transmission/clutch help! Or maybe a priest to perform an exorcism! This morning the clutch started whistleing, the trans started clanking, and car shudders and chatters! The clutch pedal bounces and feels crunchy when depressed.
Between this and my three flat tires on 5 new Sumitomo's, I think this car has some seriously bad "car"ma :shrug:

Any advice on what to do with the trans/clutch would be deeply appreciated. Any recommendations for shops to go to would also help!

At this rate, I might have to get rid of this demonized ride and put myself into another Termy!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Mike, sounds like your throw out bearing sleeve has broken......unfortunately this is way too common. I'd definitely keep the repair in the MACA. I know Billy (Wiseguy) and Jason (TRBO VNM) would be glad to help.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
IronTerp said:
Mike, sounds like your throw out bearing sleeve has broken......unfortunately this is way too common. I'd definitely keep the repair in the MACA. I know Billy (Wiseguy) and Jason (TRBO VNM) would be glad to help.

That's what happened to mine... sounded like Shiatte

Ken

TRBO VNM

yup, sounds like it. I have a McLeod retainer sleeve in stock actually.

and if that is the case and you have the money, now is a perfect time to upgrade the clutch, cooling mod and 26 spline input shaft since the front cover would have to come off for the sleeve replacement anyway. but you are talking a decent amount of money in just parts.

Last edited:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
DonkeyTuna said:
I need transmission/clutch help! Or maybe a priest to perform an exorcism!...At this rate, I might have to get rid of this demonized ride and put myself into another Termy!

The power of Christ compels you!

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
Thanks guys! So now what? Where should I take the car to find out for sure that it is in fact the throw out bearing? Does someone have a garage near Silver Spring? I am not too knowledgeable with clutches but am willing to do the work if I have guidance.
Jason, I am prepared to buy your McLeod sleeve but am not prepared to upgrade clutch or do the cooling mod. I just want a quick fix for now.

Mike

TRBO VNM

understand Mike. it is expensive to do it all.

for the sleeve, if you can jack the car up you can take the inspection cover off and take a look. you might be able to see it there.

basically, get the car up, I would remove the driver side front tire for extra room, take a 3/8" socket and remove the bolt that holds the inspection cover on the tranny. it is a rectangular shaped cover. the clutch cable comes down and goes through the bell housing and then into the clutch fork, which is covered by this inspection cover. get a flashlight and look inside at the retaining sleeve. the TOB is attached to the clutch fork and then slides on the retaining sleeve. hopefully if it is cracked you can see it. you can also take a screw driver or something and with the backside of the screw driver tap the sleeve to see if it moves or not.

hopefully that will tell you what is going on.

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
Thanks Jason! Unfortunately, I don't have the space to do this as I am already storing my 01. I am hoping I can take it somewhere to fix it. With a little luck, I might get it somewhere to try out your advice :)

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Sorry I'm not in a position to offer up the Ghetto Garage right now Mike. You should see if your Bro will let you use his. BTW, told you it was most likely the TOB. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread