Dont Do The Straight Pipe!!!

jimwood

Established Member
Well, I thought I would run the Cobra with a straight pipe after much deliberation. The boys at Midas did an excellent job, taking their time and making sure the removal of the mufflers went smoothly. The install of the straight pipe went perfectly. The weld was dead on and beautiful. Real pride in workmanship. They took it down off the rack and started it and gave it a few revs.

Everyone within 4 blocks heard it start. Everyone within 10 blocks heard it reved. My initial reaction, is no way that is way too F*&^ loud. But, being reasonable I dedided to take a trip around the block. WOW, definetly got more power, but I didnt appreciate waking up the dead. Needless to say I got some Flomaster knock off's for 120 a side. Sound fairly good.

Anyways, the point is learn from me. Straight pipe is REDICULOUSLY loud. The 03 is not my daily driver, and I was not willing errrrr able to bear the noise. This is really a bad move, and I would strongly advise anyone against it.

It was damn funny though. As a side note I walked a couple of blocks where my brother was working when Midas was installing the knock off's, and he remembered hearing me get on the car twenty minutes before. This was how load these were.

Too funny.:read:

Juiced-03

Established Member
haha I would have loved to have been there for that!! I am not 100% happy with my 3" Bassani catback and OR x pipe. Might try Flows.

Last edited:

ford97cobra

Established Member
Straight pipes are FUN...I love to see the persons reaction next to me...for those considering, he is right they are LOUD!

Matt
97 Cobra with O/R pipe and Dynomax race magnum bullets

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
considering going the straight pipe route on my bassani's connected to stingers, anyone think it will make a diff. in the noise or power

jimwood

Established Member
Im not sure but anything that opens it up will help. There was definetly a difference without the mufflers.

Midas just replaced the mufflers with two stainless straight pipes. Although it sounds extremely meaty, theres just no way in a city without attaining considerable police attention.

Last edited:

CobraVertWV

Gotta have more
Established Member
I had the MagnaFlow with a Mac offroad H-pipe setup and got a lot of popping and crackling. Not happy at all - so I switched to the Flowmaster American Thunder catback with the same offroad-H and am happy with the sound. Sounds similar to my 5.0 that has shorties, an offroad-H and flows.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
$120 a side for flow knockoff's. I paid $180 for both Flomaster 40's installed.

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
Originally posted by SaleenCobra
Amatures.... I'm only running BBK Headers and a Dr.Gas offroad X-pipe no catback......... :D

I liked the .gif BTW :)

As for the straight pipes.

What were you thinkin...:kaboom:

gandolf

Established Member
had them on both my 03 and 04 cobra. love 'em! they are not for the faint of heart ,though. lol the 04 ,with the new cats ,is not as loud as the 03 was,and really sounds quite good,with no drone ,a good idle,and stereo friendly at speed. but people are paying 4,5and $600 dollars for stingers, slps etc for, basicly, resonators in new pipes! so, each to his own, but my $400 savings paid for my shifter,and cai,and pulley! and the 03 made 448/478 with just those mods,so it makes good power that way. anyway, it is loud ,and might make the cows stop giving milk when it is at full song,so.... beware!!!!!!!!!

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I like it when you pull next to somebody with the window down and give it a good rev, the loudness seems amplified. The noise seems to startle some people:-D I have had them for a while and I agree they are loud. Cheap mod if you like the noise.

mystangs

572/677 Hehe
Established Member
I have the borla stingers with a Mac o/f h-pipe and damn is it loud. Have to sneek through the neighborhood coming in at night. I definitely get some looks when cruising down the street.

Users who are viewing this thread