Don't know if it was Shifter, Fluid or Both

DocSVT

Established Member
But I just installed a MGW shifter (blue handle), 4 quarts of RP SynchroMAX and a touch of FORD friction modifier and this thing shifts NOTHING like before. The trany now shifts like it should have from the factory, quick, fast, smooth and it is extremely quite now, it is like night and day difference. Anyone contemplating the MGW, I must say “go for it”. Just had a chance to drive a friends Cobra with a Tri-Ax and the MGW is a shorter shift, less notchy and much much quieter, I bet he will upgrade after driving mine

Hye

Established Member
wow, i have to look into this. Funny because my tranny is a little loud with my MGW shifter, and the other day i took apart the console and added dynamat (sound deadener) everywhere i could to try and quiet the sound down. I placed strips of it all around the inner boot and a couple other places. I'd say it helped about 40%.

I want to try this method next, but was thinking about going with GM synchromesh. I am using the blue handle as well.. thanks for the post!

PoisonSnake

Banned
I am contemplating on ordering the MGW shifter... what was the 4 quarts of RP SynchroMAX and a touch of FORD friction modifier for?

Hye

Established Member
SVT316x said:
I am contemplating on ordering the MGW shifter... what was the 4 quarts of RP SynchroMAX and a touch of FORD friction modifier for?[/QUOTE

its probably so the transmission can shift as smooth as possible. general consensus seems to be that when you add some different tranny fluid, GM synchromesh is a good example, the T-56 will shift smoother, and possibly add a drop or two of that ford friction stuff. I myself am going to try this real soon.

anyone have a part number on that ford friction stuff? how much of that stuff do you put in when adding tranny fluid?

DocSVT

Established Member
Just ask the person at the parts counter.

... for "Friction Modifier". It is used in limited slip differentials to quiet the clutch packs. I got it from the FORD dealer for about $5 for a 4-oz bottle. Drained the tranny and added half a bottle (2oz) of friction modifier and 4 quarts of the Royal Purple SynchroMAX (and a MGW shifter). Can’t believe how it quieted down the tranny, and it shifts smooth as silk. I hear that the GM SynchroMesh works quite well also, but I figured I would give the Royal Purple a try. I got about 100 miles on the shifter now and it keeps getting smoother.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread