dont know what ecu i need????

oscarhdz

Established Member
hi im making a swap, from a 3.8 to a 4.6 dohc cobra engine, both 99, but i dont know what ecu i need, does it matters if i put in a 2001 ecu or its the same or is it better an 2001 ecu, cause i've heard that the 01 cobra was stonger than the 99 or something like that, becasue they did something to the ecu, i relly dont know, im new on cobra engine, so can someone tell me what ecu put into my swap. thanks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I believe the harness for the 99 is slightly different then the 01. Don't quote me on that though. Ford put a more aggressive timing table in the 01's to make sure the cars weren't low on power again. I'd go with whichever one will work in your harness. I'm sure you'll need a tune so the stock timing and stuff won't really matter to you.

quikcobra

Established Member
You will not get more power from the ECU the slight higher performance in the intake manifolds mostly. Then the 99 if they got a GOOD tech who knows his stuff they would reflash the ecu and it would up it a bit. I own a 99 and they are bashed but mine was awesome. Even to this day I wish I would have never started modding it. Now its almost done with the single turbo kit.

You can run any 99-01 cobra ecu, And 03-04 mach1 ecu. but make sure it is manual. It is best to match the harness you will be running of course.

Users who are viewing this thread