don't know whats going on...

99 svtcobra

Hey guys,

Since i have bought my new battery on the car i have noticed that both my battery gauge and my oil gauge have moved to the high side. The meter used to stay stright in the center and now it has moved right just a little. Enough for me to be worried about it. Could it be that the alt could be dying and trying to pull more from the battery???

cobrafan

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
The alternator does not pull from the battery.. If the gauge needles are moved to the right, that means you're reading higher voltage and higher oil pressure.. The voltage part makes sense, idk about the oil. Your new battery is simply holding a charge better than the old one.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
nope, the gauge reading has nothing to do with actual oil pressure. Basically there are only 2 settings for the stock OP gauge. zero and 60%.

are you sure its actually moved further?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I'm guessing that your old battery was in pretty bad shape and only had enough voltage for a 50% reading. Now that your battery is in, the gauges are showing in the "on" position which is 60% like quad said.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
nope, the gauge reading has nothing to do with actual oil pressure. Basically there are only 2 settings for the stock OP gauge. zero and 60%.
are you sure its actually moved further?

excellent point. Remeber these are essentially just dummy gauges, dont put too much faith in their readings.

I'm guessing that your old battery was in pretty bad shape and only had enough voltage for a 50% reading. Now that your battery is in, the gauges are showing in the "on" position which is 60% like quad said.

My voltage is just fine and according to my meter, its only 50%...see my comment above as to why

Users who are viewing this thread