Door to Door with an EVO

Mighty Rooster

Mega Bullitthead
Established Member
I know that this is a 'kill' board, but I have to be honest about the events of Christmas Day. I was running a few errands, ok just burning gas for the hell of it, and ran across a white EVO. You will have to forgive me because I do not know that much about these cars, so the details are sketchy. We stood on 2nd a few times but I immediately got wheel spin and he didn't (go figure) so we rolled out onto the freeway. We went from about 50mph (I was in 3rd) and we were door to door through the top of 4th (for me anyway). I don't think either of us budged from the get go (I let him 'honk' for the start). Anyway, guy gave me a smile and we went on our way. That was a lot of fun! So, I suppose he had some mods, I don't know. The turbo sounded like a tea kettle (loud!). If this car was stock, they are no joke! I am going to HPP on Tuesday to get re-tuned. I have not had it tuned since I moved from SoCal and I have added a Basanni Catted X Pipe and Steeda Boost Pipe. Hopefully I will get a few more ponies from the guys at HPP and meet up with this EVO again! Then, I will come back and report a kill! :)

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
yeah they are pretty fast from the factory. Alot is the fact..as you mentioned they get instant bite. A lil of this a turbo upgrade and a lil of that and they will easily hang with a fast blown stang. Hey let us know your new numbers after the new tune.

EddieHaskell

Interweb Racing Legend
Established Member
I'm guessing you're about 380ish rwhp right? The VIII's can make power pretty easily and they're about 200lbs lighter. A flash, cams, boost controller and test pipe will get near 350whp.

Last edited:

Mighty Rooster

Mega Bullitthead
Established Member
My hat's off to him. My car is no race car, but his was certainly a respectable performer! Let's hope the tune can turn the tables a little! ;-)

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
The ycan be quick little cars. However you started in a HORRIBLE gear at that speed. 50 in 3rd is what 3k? At 50 2nd is where you need to be . GO find him again.

Mighty Rooster

Mega Bullitthead
Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:
The ycan be quick little cars. However you started in a HORRIBLE gear at that speed. 50 in 3rd is what 3k? At 50 2nd is where you need to be . GO find him again.

Maybe after the tune! The 2v is not quite the rev'r (in stock trim anyway) that the 32v is! With 3.73 gears at 50 MPH in 2nd, there is not much more room to go. 50 MPH is kind of a 'dead spot' for gear selection. Looking at some of my runs (G-tech download info) my 2-3 shift is at about 58 MPH. I have to admit, I do shift early (5800), but again, stock longblock. If I break my weekend toy, it won't be getting fixed for a while! :)

mustangbee

Established Member
ive gotten beaten by these cars..but the ones i raced had some serious work done i heard...sweet little rides nonetheless..

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
Mighty Rooster said:
Maybe after the tune! The 2v is not quite the rev'r (in stock trim anyway) that the 32v is! With 3.73 gears at 50 MPH in 2nd, there is not much more room to go. 50 MPH is kind of a 'dead spot' for gear selection. Looking at some of my runs (G-tech download info) my 2-3 shift is at about 58 MPH. I have to admit, I do shift early (5800), but again, stock longblock. If I break my weekend toy, it won't be getting fixed for a while! :)

Ahh, I didn't realize you had 3:73's. 50 is a weird spot to run from for sure. Get your tune done ,and go run em!!

Users who are viewing this thread