Doors: 3 or 5

bxs144

Established Member
I am considering getting a svtf, and I was wondering how the 5 door is any better than the 3, getting in/out of the back seat.

I know the overall size of the car is the same between the two. The reason is that the wife wants the 5 and I would like to know if is any better than the 3.
And the ability to order a 5 door, orange w/ european package is running out.
Thanks

Last edited:

AZ SVT

Established Member
I would have got the 5 door if they made one in '02. Its much easier to get in and out of the back and anyone in front doesn't have to get out for then to do it. If you have kids in car seats you have side access to get them all strapped in. Lastly, the 5 door has a very good rear seat safety rating in a crash while the 3 door is one of the most dangerous cars out there. The downside of the 5 doors on the SVTFs is approximately 50 extra pounds and no rocker molding (if you care).

bxs144

Established Member
Thanks AZ SVT. This car will be my daily driver and eventually haul the kids occasionally(already have 02 exlporer). I might consider taking it to an autox or two but I have a car for that already.

Lugi 98 SVT

Established Member
I test drove 4 or 5 before I bought my 5-door.
I didn't notice any performance difference between the 2 cars whatsoever. Even though the kids fit just fine in the 3-door , I vowed that since the Cobra, I would go with something more convenient. I haven't seen nearly as many 5-doors around either.
I am very happy that I got the 5-door.

FreeFlowSVT

Lover Of Burned Rubber
Established Member
I have a 5 door and love the easyness of people getting in and out of the back. The 50 extra pounds is nothing really. The car rips just as well stock as a 3 door.

And yes Lugi, less 5 doors out there by far because they made alot less then the 3 door version.

Last edited:

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
I test drove a 2dr notch, then knew I wanted to test drive a 5door. I bought it the next day =)

DaveSVT03

Established Member
5 doors

I got the 5 door and it's so practical it's hard to believe. I have 3 kids, so I really need the extra doors.

Can't tell any performance diferrence. I won on Autox and 2nd in another and I was the only 5 door, so I don't think there is much, if any difference.

FreeFlowSVT

Lover Of Burned Rubber
Established Member
They didn't start making them untill 2003 and that year they made 2,173 which was over 1,000 less then the 3-doors and this years numbers are not final yet and this is last year for SVTF. So the 5-doors are not common but not super rare....they could be called uncommon with no issues.

One way i like to think of it is that my town is a small hick town in the sticks with just a country store and thats it and the 2003 production of the 5-doors wouldn't even be enough for everyone here. So thats kinda rare....just think how many people in the U.S total...:beer:

Last edited:

Beantown Focus

Established Member
yep i love owning a car that i dont have to look at someone else driving my twin at every light :thumbsup: svtfzx5 baby

Last edited:

JoeJoe

Established Member
i bought the 5 door because of the kid factor, but i also like the 4 door look. If you think about it, the WRX, the EVO and the M3 4drs look great.

just my 2c but i like the look better....then the 2dr.

joe

:rockon:

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
I saw my same car today but was 02 (didnt have the euro headlights) and the bastard had a sunroof! I want a sunroof!

esereno

also, easier to put things in/on the back seats.
and, easier to fold the seats down from the back doors.

Yeah, I gotta 5 door.

2814v

Established Member
Size does matter when contomplating a three or five door SVTF, not just the size of your family, but the drivers. I wanted a five door, but when I tested it the driver door was to narrow. It would have been a pain in the rear getting in and out. I am only 6'2, 240 and I saw it as a problem. The kids only ride in the SVTF occasionally, I use it all the time. So I got the three door with its longer door and could'nt be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread