Double clutching

Mc Q 6185

Established Member
So, who does it? I just read about it yesterday and tried it out while crusing today.....downshifts are now very nice n' smooth :coolman: . Before I knew about double clutching I'd just downshift right into gear as the rpms fell and very slowly let out the clutch,which usually resulted in a nice whine of the trans followed by a -clud- and a slight jolt forward no matter how carefully I downshifted. Now I don't even feel the downshift :thumbsup:

Just curious if anyone else used double clutching.

Later

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
WHO DOWNSHIFTS??? :rollseyes

Seriously though, I dont know one person that double clutches..:shrug:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Why don't you call Vin Diesel and ask him

Revmatch? yes, double clutch...wow thats just gay

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Double clutching, for those that dont know, is when you push in the clutch, take the shifter out of gear, and release the clutch. Then, push in the clutch again, and put it into the gear you want. Personally, i think double-clutching is a waste of time.. It can get tiring as well, with those cars with non-stock clutches.

untouchable_svt

Established Member
you don't double clutch when you have sycros!!! Like arlready said I rev match but thats it! Stop watch the fast and furious. double clutching is for big rigs.

2001BlackSVT

You're First or Last
Established Member
double clutching is when you upshift, and that's for semis and shit with no syncros.... what you're talking about is called rev matching, where you're downshifting and you rev the engine to match the next gear you're downshifting into... i've been doing that since i was 16

Mc Q 6185

Established Member
Jeez, you guys with your rice references can lick my balls.... I was merely noting the difference in ease (on the trans) of shifting when double clutching is used. Some of yous are ****s man.....

Nickyoobatz

Established Member
mustang john said:
Just watch the movie Bullit and you will see the greatest car chase scene ever and hear lots of double clutching, Steve McQueen kicks ass!

You also hear the Mustang upshift 5 times at one point.

Badass movie though. :rockon:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Mc Q 6185 said:
Jeez, you guys with your rice references can lick my balls.... I was merely noting the difference in ease (on the trans) of shifting when double clutching is used. Some of yous are ****s man.....
It shouldn't be eaiser on the tranny and is harder on the clutch.

Mc Q 6185

Established Member
Doh! I see that someone mentioned rev-matching as being different from double-clutching.....the article I read described rev-matching as a double clutching process so I immediately assumed double clutching referred to rev-matching.

Well I see the reasoning behind the verbal lynching is my ignorance (ignore my previous post, lol).... and I suppose I agree with the above poster that "double clutching" offers no benefits to the tranny. I do however notice an increase in smoothness into the lower gear upon downshifting using "rev-matching" (from what I have read, a quick blip of the trottle just before selecting the lower gear helps the synchros to mesh with greater ease). Perhaps some will agree?

2slow50

Banned
rev matching, where you're downshifting and you rev the engine to match the next gear you're downshifting into.

I also do that alot is it bad for the tranny???

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
granny shifting not double clutching like you should...your lucky that 200 shot of NAWS did blow the welds on the intake....

the what ?

dude, just shift hard when needed. showing off gets expensive!

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I had an older Mustang GT that had a bad 2nd gear synchro. I had to double-clutch to get into 2nd gear until I finally fixed it.

I will sometimes double-clutch when driving the Cobra in extremely cold weather since the gears like to "bang" until the tranny is warmed up.

I guess I only do it when necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread