Drag-R

XLR8-R

Established Member
Took my R to the drags last night, River City Raceway. Went from a best of 13.06 to a worst of 13.26, all at 109+ mph. I had a hard time launching, with a best 60ft of 2.23. Was getting a lot of wheel hop if I launched hard, bogged if I launched too soft. Any suggestions, besides drag radials? Overall I am pretty satisfied with the times. A 2.0 60ft (which is very attainable on street tires) would net times in the 12.8-12.9 easily, and 109 mph is right where it should be.(bone stock) Next time I'll try to go when they have sprayed the track with sticky compound. They usually do this when they have a big event.

Carter

Matt Jones

Established Member
XLR8-R, let me know the next time you want to go to RCR. I live in Austing and will drive my 'R up to Seguin and run with you.

I have experienced all of your problems trying to drag the 'R. The drag radials will help but the wheel hop will get worse. I usally drag race my '95 Cobra with slicks and I am real bad about hitting the 'R too hard off the line. It sure would be fun to throw a set of 4.56 gears and a live axle at this thing.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Matt Jones
XLR8-R, let me know the next time you want to go to RCR. I live in Austing and will drive my 'R up to Seguin and run with you.

I have experienced all of your problems trying to drag the 'R. The drag radials will help but the wheel hop will get worse. I usally drag race my '95 Cobra with slicks and I am real bad about hitting the 'R too hard off the line. It sure would be fun to throw a set of 4.56 gears and a live axle at this thing.

It would be great to get a picture of you two lined up together at the strip. an R shootout.

XLR8-R

Established Member
Matt, I will be driving my R to River City Raceway on sunday to watch the Vette-Viper shootout. I may or may not make some passes, but should be fun to watch anyways. Where do you usually run your cars at? Also, am going to meet the guy that bought my R new(at Covert Ford) since he is bringing his Viper GTS.

Carter

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
When I was at Pauls Highperformance a few weeks ago, I saw a 00R that was completely gutted. They has also removed a lot of metal panels in the rear of the car. It turns out that they are prepairing it for the drag strip. They must be tubbing out the rear end and putting a solid axle in it. I took several digital pictures of it and then found out that I wasn't suppose to. He asked that they not show up on the web.

It will be pretty cool when he is finished but it sure is a waste of an awesome track car.

XLR8-R

Established Member
I have to agree, kind of a waste but would be neat to see how one runs with a solid axle and gutted. My only bitch about these cars(00 Rs) is the weight. Imagine how they would run/handle if they weighed 3200lbs instead of 3600, as published. And since they already have no A/C, backseat, radio, and sound-deadening, where can you remove any significant weight? Anyone make an aluminum 5.4 block?

Carter

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by XLR8-R
I have to agree, kind of a waste but would be neat to see how one runs with a solid axle and gutted. My only bitch about these cars(00 Rs) is the weight. Imagine how they would run/handle if they weighed 3200lbs instead of 3600, as published. And since they already have no A/C, backseat, radio, and sound-deadening, where can you remove any significant weight? Anyone make an aluminum 5.4 block?

Carter

I wonder if the Navigator 32-valve block is aluminum? I wouldn't think so for a truck application.

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
The Lincoln navigator block is in fact not Aluminum. I have a Lincoln Navigator block that was purchased for my 5.4 DOHC build up. The bottom end of my engine was purchased out of the Ford catalogs. Everything but the heads were purchased brand new and from those catalogs with the exception of the rods and pistons.

Nope no wieght savings in the 5.4 yet..

Matt
JKCOBRA98

Users who are viewing this thread