Drag Radial problem

Jagged Edge

Established Member
I can't keep them balanced because eveytime I launch, they rotate about 2-3 inches on both rims. I am running 315/35/17 Nittos on the stock 10th anniversary rims.
Anybody having this problem and what can I do to fix... if any thing. It sure skakes your teeth loose above 80 mph. It's not the driveline because with the stock tires on it's smooth.
Thanks
JE

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It sounds like you need to run more pressure in the tires. What PSI are you running?

SNKBITE

Established Member
There are very few choices to remedy slicks rotating on wheels.
The best and most popular is screwing them to the rims as I had to on my Lightning.
I have also seen them glued to the wheel, something I personally don't think I would attempt for the obvious removal issues.
I am running Mickey Thompson E/T Streets at 12-14 psi and I have yet to have an issue on my car.
You can see my mods below. But I am only launching at 2500-3000 rpm's. I can feel them wrinkle when I upshift to 2nd and 3rd but as of yet I have no spin issues.

Jagged Edge

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
It sounds like you need to run more pressure in the tires. What PSI are you running?

I am running 18 psi at the track and 28 on the street. The tires even rotate at 28 psi. I even tried cleaning the bead without luck.
Thanks
JE

Jagged Edge

Established Member
Originally posted by SNKBITE
There are very few choices to remedy slicks rotating on wheels.
The best and most popular is screwing them to the rims as I had to on my Lightning.
I have also seen them glued to the wheel, something I personally don't think I would attempt for the obvious removal issues.
I am running Mickey Thompson E/T Streets at 12-14 psi and I have yet to have an issue on my car.
You can see my mods below. But I am only launching at 2500-3000 rpm's. I can feel them wrinkle when I upshift to 2nd and 3rd but as of yet I have no spin issues.

These are drag radials and I don't think you can screw the bead. Slicks are a whole different animal. I am launching at about 2500 rpm's.
Thanks
JE

mmartin 6

Established Member
I have a similar problem. Just put the 315/35/17 DR's on last week and the car seems to shake/shudder quite a bit. Is this normal ? I've only been street driving but I did get on it hard at one point and the whole car was shaking - it went away for the most with normal driving, but still seems to be there. I haven't checked the driveshaft yet, though. Would you receommend an adjustment to the pressure for starters ?

davidmax

Established Member
You may have bad wheels.I would suggest swapping out with a buddy or go to E bay and buy the cheapest wheels that would fit.
Also if the wheels are chromed and the barrel is plated as well that can cause slippage.
Just a guess but it happens once every time Mercury is aligned with your anas,Dave Smilovic

freakshow12

Established Member
are those 17x8 rims? I think the 315 is too big if they are. I am running 275/40's on my stock 97 wheels and they work great. no slippage at all. I was advised not to go with the 315 on a 17x8 rim because the 315's are made for a 10-11.5 rim.

Jagged Edge

Established Member
Originally posted by davidmax
You may have bad wheels.I would suggest swapping out with a buddy or go to E bay and buy the cheapest wheels that would fit.
Also if the wheels are chromed and the barrel is plated as well that can cause slippage.
Just a guess but it happens once every time Mercury is aligned with your anas,Dave Smilovic

Anything is posible but these are the factory wheels and I didn't have this problem before.
Thanks
JE

Jagged Edge

Established Member
Originally posted by freakshow12
are those 17x8 rims? I think the 315 is too big if they are. I am running 275/40's on my stock 97 wheels and they work great. no slippage at all. I was advised not to go with the 315 on a 17x8 rim because the 315's are made for a 10-11.5 rim.

They are 9 inch, but you could be right just the same.
Nittos run narrower than the BFG's and everybody suggested going with 315's for Nitto's and that they where ok for the stock 17x9 factory wheels.
Thanks
JE

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
I just mounted my BFG DR's on my drag lights. I plan to just drive on them all the time. I had not considered them turning and coming out of balance. No way I am drilling my new Welds.:nonono:

jimh

Established Member
As far as I know you can use screws on any tire. The screws just go into the bead. My last car I had the tires screwed. Personally I'd try anything else before putting screws in our rims. I have known guys who put screws only on the back side of the rim so it wouldn't look bad. It still worked.

Best of luck,
jim

Jagged Edge

Established Member
Originally posted by mmartin 6
I have a similar problem. Just put the 315/35/17 DR's on last week and the car seems to shake/shudder quite a bit. Is this normal ? I've only been street driving but I did get on it hard at one point and the whole car was shaking -

No it's not normal. The ride is perfect right after a balancing but get on it once at a light and the shake is back because the tire moves on the rim killing the balancing.
JE

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
That's why I bought the approved rim size for the tires ... minimum width approved for the 315 Nitto 555R's are 10.5.

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
maybe if you get the tire off of there, and hit the edge of the wheel with some sandpaper where the bead is, i bet itll help...make sure you use a rough sandpaper, and BE CAREFUL not to sand in a place where anybody would see lol

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
anyone having problems with the stock rims not the 10 ann rims? (sorry for a lil off topic) cause i was thinking about buying the 315 nittos myself. also are they as wide as the stock F1s? cause i saw a couple of pics of them on the back and they looked smaller for some reason??? thanks guys

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
the 315s fit good on the stock rim, they run a lil small compared to BFG DRs, but they are definantly bigger than the stock F1s

Users who are viewing this thread