Drag Radials in Arizona Winter?

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Does anybody run DR's in Arizona winter? Specifically in the valley (Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, PHX, etc...). No snow involved.

If so how do they hold up? I know traction is going to be less than when it is summer time, as DR's are usually rated for summer time only. And I see there is a tire failure warning if the tires are used in < 30 degree F; not much of a problem as it doesn't really go below 45 degrees F.

I want to get rid of my summis as they suck big time.
Thanks for the input!

03silverdragon

Established Member
I used to have m/t drag radial and they just last about 8-9 months, any little bit of rain my car slide all over the road, once hidroplane on the 51, like u said, they are good on the summer.
I think it depends on your driving habits as well. good luck.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
I used to run Nitto 555R's on both my 2000 GT and Cobra year round. Never really had any problems with it. Rain kinda sucked on occasion when I'd run into big puddles

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Well 03silverdragon you happen to have a 735/600 beast so I could see them wearing out so quickly! Ooo yah hydroplaning isn't something I plan to do. And I drive very moderately. I don't really race much and have never raced at the track although I do plan too.

ASUSMC that's good news! I bet in the puddles it felt as if it was about break the rear end loose. I hardly ever get caught in the rain, I don't drive much and if I did I drive pretty moderately. Also I have an extra set of bullitt wheels wrapped in regular street nitto 555's in my garage in case I see the forecast says that it might rain.

See I could just buy the NT05's and slap them on the extra set of 17x8's I have, and slap those on on the weekends. But I really like the staggered look I have right now so I'm leaning towards putting them on the deep dish rims in the back. And those would be 555R's rather than NT05's due to the NT05's being super scary in the rain.

myblk32v

Established Member
Same here, except 315's :). Do you plan to run those year round? They looks scary for the rain!

I have the 555s and plan on switching to the NT05s. Everything I have read says they are a great tire. And lets be honest are we really worrying about rain in the valley?

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I have the 555s and plan on switching to the NT05s. Everything I have read says they are a great tire. And lets be honest are we really worrying about rain in the valley?

Yah I've read lots of good stuff about them as well. They hook a lot better than the 555R's. But I'm waiting for more info from them as they are relatively new. I'd like to see how long they last. Haha true about the rain, except during monsoon season which just passed. It's either going to be 555R's or NT05's for me.

Users who are viewing this thread