Drag Radials

Prostyle

Established Member
Alright so im going to be buying some drag radials, and wasn't sure what to go with. Most likely nitto as its my dd for the summer right now.

Just curious i have 17x9 in the rear, and was wondering if 275 DR's are even worth it or should i get new rims ( 10.5 ) so i can have 315's in the rear, or just go ahead and order 275's

Wasn't sure if 315's would give me THAT much more grip, but ive never owned a set before so im asking for your help!

F8L BYT

Established Member
Alright so im going to be buying some drag radials, and wasn't sure what to go with. Most likely nitto as its my dd for the summer right now.

Just curious i have 17x9 in the rear, and was wondering if 275 DR's are even worth it or should i get new rims ( 10.5 ) so i can have 315's in the rear, or just go ahead and order 275's

Wasn't sure if 315's would give me THAT much more grip, but ive never owned a set before so im asking for your help!

Of course a bigger tire will provide more grip but the 275 would do just fine. But if you do decide to get a bigger wheel and tire and are going with nitto, then get the 305 and not the 315 since the 305 is actually wider than the 315... Ya I dont understand why either

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Of course a bigger tire will provide more grip but the 275 would do just fine. But if you do decide to get a bigger wheel and tire and are going with nitto, then get the 305 and not the 315 since the 305 is actually wider than the 315... Ya I dont understand why either

So a 305 nitto DR is wider than a nitto 315 DR? Curious as to how you know this.

I do know that people put 315 Nitto DR on a 9" wide wheel though. Nitto runs small as far as width.

Prostyle

Established Member
Okay so a nitto 315 will fit on my 9in rim? how much of a side wall difference will i have with my front tire since it is a 275-40 ?

I thought you could only fit like 275's on a 9in rim? also explain how a 315 is not as wide as a 305?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Advertised Width depends on where the measurement is taken. And that is one thing that is not regulated.

However in the 555R they only make a 305/35/18 Not a 17

But the 305/35/18 is wider than the 315/35/17 by about 1/4 inch

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
THe 555s are the street version, and they are a bit wider, I think. I know for sure that the 555R (Extreme Drag Version) will fit on a 9" wide 03 wheel if the tire is a 315.

gq916

Established Member
if its a DD and you want a drag radial then go with nitto 275. 275 will be good enough for the amount of power u have. I would go with Mickey Thompsons if you have 2 extra rims to keep on the side for track days. Mickey Thompson wont last long for a DD.

sisky wolf

Established Member
Okay so a nitto 315 will fit on my 9in rim? how much of a side wall difference will i have with my front tire since it is a 275-40 ?

I thought you could only fit like 275's on a 9in rim? also explain how a 315 is not as wide as a 305?

Originally Posted by VADER*
Question for Matt or other tire pros. Using a factory 17 x 9 rim, do you think the 275 NT05R has a greater contact patch than a 315 555R?

I wanted the 315 05R tires, but I doubt they will fit right, so rather than just go wide, I think whatever makes the most contact to the ground matters.

There really isn't an accurate comparison and one of the fitments is not approved but here are my thoughts.

The NT05R has more surface rubber when compared to the NT555R as it has a solid center groove for continuous contact patch and less cuts in the tread blocks. When it comes to proper mounting, the 275/40-17 NT05R will handle better on the 17x9 as it is approved for a 9" wide wheel which optimizes the contact patch to the ground. The 315/35-17 is about 1.5" wider which means it may have (no way to really tell) more contact patch in theory but on a 9" wide wheel, is going to pinch the tire up limiting optimal performance. Even with air pressure adjustments, the handling of the vehicle can be thrown off and tire failure may occur. As you may know, size 315/35-17 has an approved rim width range of 10.5" to 12.5" with 11" being the most ideal.

If you were to compare apples to apples. The NT05R in size 275/40-17 mounted on a 17x9 compared to the 275/40-17 NT555R mounted on a 17x9 will have both more contact patch to the ground and surface rubber. This goes for all comparable sizes. I should also add that the rubber in the NT05R is softer than the NT555R which improves tractions and the internal construction in the NT05R has been advanced for better stability and handling.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I would get the 315 nto5, I honestly think it willbe fine, a tad amont of bulge but it will be fine and help to fill up the wheel well, adjusting the tire pressure correctly will get the contact patch where it shold be, just compensate for heat/pressure buildup on longer trips to the the most life out of the tire

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
IMO and I'll add I haven't driven on the NTO5R but looking at the tire and specs it will be alot like the M/T ond BFG.

Treadwear is 00 unlike the 100 on the 555R.
They may not last and rain will suck.

Prostyle

Established Member
Has any1 used the NTO5R yet? I mean i DD this car, but if i know there is going to be rain, i will drive my other car. I only have to drive a mile to and from work and school so i think i could handle it. I just want a good DR that gets decent miles if they even make one lol!

Thanks for all the input guys.

sisky wolf

Established Member
Has any1 used the NTO5R yet? I mean i DD this car, but if i know there is going to be rain, i will drive my other car. I only have to drive a mile to and from work and school so i think i could handle it. I just want a good DR that gets decent miles if they even make one lol!

Thanks for all the input guys.

Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords did a complete work up on the tire..got great results..better then the MT,s..I have been running MT for 3 years and cannot hook..I just ordered the NTO5R the last info came from Matt with Discount Tire..It's his business to know what he is talking about
Also its better to get your info from someone in the tire business than guessing....The 315 calls for a min.. 10.5 to 12.5 rim..A 315 tire will mount on a 9" rim but you will have bulge and less contact surface than a 275 on a 9" rim.

Last edited:

Cobra Jay

Got Boost?
Established Member
If you're using these for just DD, I would get Nitto 555Rs. With you mods, those will be plenty for your car. 275/40/17s

I wouldn't run a 315 on a 9" wide wheel :nonono: Tires spec are made for a reason. When you go against those reccomendations, your safety goes right out the window.

sisky wolf

Established Member
If you're using these for just DD, I would get Nitto 555Rs. With you mods, those will be plenty for your car. 275/40/17s

I wouldn't run a 315 on a 9" wide wheel :nonono: Tires spec are made for a reason. When you go against those reccomendations, your safety goes right out the window.

DITTO:rockon:

Prostyle

Established Member
Alright thanks guys. I will be going with 275's so i have the same sidewall with the front. How many miles are the NT05 good for? or should i just go with the 555r

Users who are viewing this thread