drag radials

ninty9cobra

Established Member
In the process of buying some drag radials but stuck on what to buy?
What would you guys run?

Hoosier DOT drag radials

Mickey Thompson et street

MnH Racemasters

Bfgoodrich

Nitto Nt05r

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm getting ready to buy some too, I was set on the ET Street slick but more than one guy said they sway like hell on the top end when stock radials are up front.
I ran ET drag Slicks on my Nitrous Fed 89 with thin radials in front with no issues for years, that's with Both sway bars removed too? Do these guys just not know how to drive? I for sure want a soft sidewall! Don't wanna snap half shafts!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
All of this is my $.02, take it for what its worth...

Actually removing the sway bars helps on that tire, its an odd science.

As an aside, I'm running nt05r's in a 315/40/18 on mine and they hook pretty good for my power (800whp pump) when you shoot for a 1.65-1.8 60ft and have the pressure at 12-15#'s. I can roll into the throttle at 50 in second and keep traction really well also. I have a 3.08 rear though so that plays a lot into it.

Key points:

-daily driver-best life and value out of the nt05r's. Easily 2-5 times the life of the others at only 1.5x the cost
-handling-nt05r handles corners the best out of the tires up there in the first post.
-rain-you could easily die in heavy rain with any of these tires but the nt05r's are the least likely to hydroplane. The are great in light an modest rain, the others feel like ice skates.
-traction-the nt05r's are not as sticky as the others. Those can get a cobra into 1.4's with supporting traction mods, nt05r's are lucky to pull 1.60's, maybe a 1.50 with a great setup.

If it's a project car that never sees rain, any of the stickey tires are great.

If it's a daily I say only the nt05r is great.

Cheers and goodluck regardless of which tire you run, it'll be fun and fast in good weather so have fun but be safe in bad weather.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^^^ What rear end do you have SRA or IRS? Are those nt05r's considered a stiff sidewalled tire? And I'm not worried about a daily driver rear meat, these will be on a spare set of rims for the track and ocasional cruising! My car doesn't see rain!

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have a built irs with bushings, a tru trac, 3.08, axle's, etc.

If it's going on a spare set of rims, then go with the stickiest tire you can, might as well be a slick unless you plan to do a lot of street cruising with them. Et streets hook well and are street legal. Hoosiers are arguably better for street cruising, mnh are great as well. a slick will hook better and be less stressful on components like axle's and hubs.

Nt05r's are a softer sidewalk but they are still a radial. They won't wrinkle like a slick or light wall dr unless you get them in a huge sidewall like a 60 or bigger. Thats if they'd wrinkle all that much at all though.

Users who are viewing this thread