Drag Radials

2snakes

Established Member
Anybody thinking of running drag radials ?? What ones ?? Will it throw a code on the abs or anything being a taller tire that stock ?

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
Plenty of information in the GT500 section about drag radials. They are great for the strip but be careful in the rain.

I like the Nitto NT05 or the Nitto 555r drag radials. The MT tires hook better but don't last as long.

No computer issues....

jtfx6552

Established Member
I'd like to get a pair to put on factory take off wheels. I wonder how long it will be to get some. With my '03 it wasn't long and I got brand new factory wheels cheap, I think they were $159 each from "Diversified".

I think I'll go with the MTs

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Nt05r's are great on my nose heavy 5.4 swapped 03.

On a 2013 with launch control, I could see those tires alone dropping the 0-60 well into 3.3-3.4 seconds, and maybe more.

The micky's are a stickier tire but handling and rain aren't their strong suit

Turbo mach1

Established Member
putting the 305 M/T's on it

I could care less about the car in the rain, it wont ever see it. Hell since i brought the car home 10 days ago it hasnt moved out of the garage.

SVTSlingshot

Ya, that's my Shelby
Established Member
Would these DRs best for traction? I won't be driving the car in the rain.

Mickey Thompson 305/35R20 ET Street Drag Radials

Mickey Thompson 3727R Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Drag Tires

672-radial_b.jpg

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
putting the 305 M/T's on it

I could care less about the car in the rain, it wont ever see it. Hell since i brought the car home 10 days ago it hasnt moved out of the garage.

What!?

I hope youve been too busy to get it out.

I've had mine 21 days today, and driven it 18 of them. Granted I only have 380 miles, I'm still getting it out daily.

I put 18,000 miles on a set of MTs when I had them, so I'll attest to them being a little goofy in rain, and not being a good handling tire.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Why put one dimensional tires on a brand new highly capable car?

The nt05r is much better in terms of balance vs the Mickey. Unless you really really enjoy drag racing and little else, I can't seem to see the logic.

1.70-1.65 60 fts on nt05r's should be cake with the technology on the gt500. The Mickey's may pull 1.55's but the handling and stability seem to be a questionable compromise.

My nt05's handle decidedly well for a drag tire, to each his own though,just some unsolicited advice.

Turbo mach1

Established Member
What!?

I hope youve been too busy to get it out.

I've had mine 21 days today, and driven it 18 of them. Granted I only have 380 miles, I'm still getting it out daily.

I put 18,000 miles on a set of MTs when I had them, so I'll attest to them being a little goofy in rain, and not being a good handling tire.

It hasn't stop raining and the two days it did, I got home from the office at 9:30-10:00 and was ready to crash.

I need to hurry up and seat the clutch, it goes on the dyno Tuesday with a pulley, CAI, and throttle body.

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
It hasn't stop raining and the two days it did, I got home from the office at 9:30-10:00 and was ready to crash.

I need to hurry up and seat the clutch, it goes on the dyno Tuesday with a pulley, CAI, and throttle body.

rain is gay then, I shall not judge you :)

Seat the clutch eh?
is this ghetto slang for learn the car? or, there's a real meaning to that term?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Why put one dimensional tires on a brand new highly capable car?

The nt05r is much better in terms of balance vs the Mickey. Unless you really really enjoy drag racing and little else, I can't seem to see the logic.

1.70-1.65 60 fts on nt05r's should be cake with the technology on the gt500. The Mickey's may pull 1.55's but the handling and stability seem to be a questionable compromise.

My nt05's handle decidedly well for a drag tire, to each his own though,just some unsolicited advice.

The only DRs I ever used were the BFGs, but I don't think they make an appropriate size for the '13. If the Nittos will really 60 ft that well, I'd be more than happy with that.

Can you actually drive in the rain with the Nittos? Anytime I had the BFGs on and it rained enough for there actually to be standing water, I'd pull over and find a place to wait it out.

One time I got caught in a downpour on the PA turnpike, I slowed down until about "almost get rear ended" speed, and still had to pull off. It was so bad I thought one of them had actually gone flat or something, but no they still had air in them.

lx347cid

Established Member
In my opinion and I have had alot of different drag radials and the NT05R which I have now are the best for the track if you want a radial tire. I keep them on my car all the time but I never drive in the rain. I think it will be fine in the rain though.

evolve

Established Member
The only DRs I ever used were the BFGs, but I don't think they make an appropriate size for the '13. If the Nittos will really 60 ft that well, I'd be more than happy with that.

Can you actually drive in the rain with the Nittos? Anytime I had the BFGs on and it rained enough for there actually to be standing water, I'd pull over and find a place to wait it out.

One time I got caught in a downpour on the PA turnpike, I slowed down until about "almost get rear ended" speed, and still had to pull off. It was so bad I thought one of them had actually gone flat or something, but no they still had air in them.

I have them and yes you can.

Turbo mach1

Established Member
I'm a little partial, were sponsored by M/T and I can tell you we have been 1.15 60' on a radial and have the fastest stock suspension car in the world. No tire compares to the Mickey

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm a little partial, were sponsored by M/T and I can tell you we have been 1.15 60' on a radial and have the fastest stock suspension car in the world. No tire compares to the Mickey

They are the better tire in a decidedly drag oriented car, no question. Street cars that mainly see the track are ill served by other manufacturers in regards to peak drag oriented potential. No question.

I was implying for a diversely capable street car, the nt05r's hook very well, and still handle decently while offering a longer life and better safety/feel in the wet/corners.

I've had:

Currently I have Nt05r's but have had nt555r's and bfg's. Great improvement over the nt555r in terms of grip. Handling seems better mainly because of design and compound. I run matching nt05's up front (as I've also run BFG G Force ta's or nt555's respectively to match previous drag tires).

Handling is incredibly capable even given that I'm running a very tall 315/40/18 in the rear (28.2") and 275/35/18 front (26"). I do experience light roll or sidewall flex in high speed turns (think 8/10th driving and up, not traditional freeway turns at 70, but curves back roads at 60-80.), but it's very progressive and manageable. It's in essence a very manipulatable "friction point," if you will, of relative progressive flex. The car takes turns at higher speeds than previous tire combos and does so much more controllably and most importantly, in a confidence inspiring way.

Wet weather is on par with the nt555r's but has not proven to be devestating like my bfg's were.

Hook is up and honestly better than both of the other tires I've tried but this also is expected as the nt05r's are nearly brand new high tech designs.

That all said, a set of mickey's will out hook these tires in a straight line, no question. For a street car, I'd argue the nt05r is a great idea, where as a dot legal street car that mainly/only sees drag duty is best served by the mickey's.

Last edited:

Turbo mach1

Established Member
I'll buy that. I come from a drag race background so that's what I think of come tire performance

Users who are viewing this thread