Drag tire advice/opinions needed

Jbstang87

Established Member
Hey guys. I need some opinions regarding getting track tires. I also don't have an unlimited budget. Currently running MPSS on AMR 19x11s. They can't hook up. This is my only car and although I don't DD it, it still needs to get me around. After extensive research I've narrowed it down to 3 options. I plan on hitting it with a 100 shot in the coming spring. I have a mt-82. I'd like to spend under 1k. Rain is not an issue.

1. Put Nt05r 305s or some MT ET street iis 305s, then done. I like this idea alot, because I can DD with it, drive to the track, lower pressure, and I'm good to go. The reason I don't like this is because I have a manual and I don't want to break my tranny/driveline (lots of $$$) on my first couple passes out with n20. Do you think my driveline can handle 500hp and 550 tq without breaking? Estimated around 5-700 dollars. :dancenana:

2. Buy 2 15 inch racestars and mount some MT radials. I like this idea because I can save some tread life by switching my street tires for the MTs on track days and save some $$ by not buying front runners. I don't like this idea because it is still a hassle changing wheels. I still would be at risk for breaking the driveline. Estimated around 800-1000 dollars.

3. Go crazy and get 4 racestars and MT slicks. Switch em out on the track and go for broke. Estimated to cost 1200-2k. :shrug:

Zevox

Established Member
What about buying a new set of 18x10 AMR wheels that match yours and run some sort of drag radial on it? That way you can swap them on for a track day and still have matching wheels. The only downside is 18" DR's seem pretty expensive.

As far as breaking stuff... my friend has cat deletes, CAI, boss IM, and at that time a Bama tune and broke a driveshaft on some Mickey ET Pro radials at the track.

Jbstang87

Established Member
I have 1 piece DSS, so no breaking of the shaft. I don't see the point of buying 18x10 AMRs when I can just throw DRs on the 19s and keep my mpss for other reasons.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
MT ET Streets on some race star take-offs. I have the ET Street Radials and am ditching them for the bias play ET Streets. They're just too stiff for the shock the manual delivers. You either launch low enough causing the car to bog, or you just sit and spin. There seems to be no middle ground. MT states the radials are designed exclusively for autos. Had I known that I would have gotten the bias ply.

DarkHorse5.0

Established Member
I run 28" Hoosier slick bias ply on 15" race stars with a full bolt on car, stock drive shaft and launch around 5k. Sometimes higher. Had no problems except the last pass I made in the fall I might have ever so slightly warped the driveshaft launching at 6250... Hard to tell though because it's so minute. Anyways what I'm trying to get at is, with no warming I can dead hook at 6250, no breakage. I would worry about a smaller diameter DR

Last edited:

FIFTY

Established Member
Options 3 is probably your best option, yeah your going to have to buy a new setup, but at least you won't be going through your street tires like crazy....plus a slicks and M6 just go hand and hand! Once I switched from a DR to slick I dropped like 4tenths in my old 11

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are not made to be a drag tire. They aren't designed to hook like a drag tire either. They are a street road course style tire built for turns, not burnouts.

Get a set of DRs.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Another thing to add is I have a 3.73 rear end now. When I had the 3.31 hooking up was easier. Still not worth it though.

Users who are viewing this thread