Drag Tire size selection

MikesCobra

Established Member
Hey guys,

I finally got around to buying a set of drag wheels, I got the diamond racing 16x10 with 6 inch back spacing. The last piece to the puzzle is drag slicks. What sizes are you guys running on stock IRS? I have stock 3.55 gears. Any help would be appreciated.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
I have a set I'll sell ya! M/T et streets 26x11.50,16" i haven't listed them yet. And they go pretty quick. Send me a pm if interested.

MikesCobra

Established Member
Ok, so now that we got SIZE out of the way.

What kind of insight can you guys offer me as to what to expect from not only driving but racing on slicks?

How will they react? Swaying? saftey issues? DO's and Donts?

I plan on making a few very easy passes down the track to see what and how the tires will behave, as well as learn since I have never used slicks gased down to 10-20 psi for racing. Def dont want to hot dog it right out of the gate and put my pile of junk into the wall...

Any help would be great.

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
Ok, so now that we got SIZE out of the way.

What kind of insight can you guys offer me as to what to expect from not only driving but racing on slicks?

How will they react? Swaying? saftey issues? DO's and Donts?

I plan on making a few very easy passes down the track to see what and how the tires will behave, as well as learn since I have never used slicks gased down to 10-20 psi for racing. Def dont want to hot dog it right out of the gate and put my pile of junk into the wall...

Any help would be great.

Mixing radial and bias ply tires is generally discouraged. If you're going to run a bias ply ET street then its recommended you run a bias ply front runner to minimize the sway everyone gets so worried about.

MikesCobra

Established Member
Mixing radial and bias ply tires is generally discouraged. If you're going to run a bias ply ET street then its recommended you run a bias ply front runner to minimize the sway everyone gets so worried about.

So another words DONT use these wheels and tires in conjunction with my street wheels and tires up front ?

If so then thanks, I will def wait until I get my front wheels and tires for the drag set up... I want to have fun, but most of all I want to be safe as possible, all things considered. :read:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
So another words DONT use these wheels and tires in conjunction with my street wheels and tires up front ?

If so then thanks, I will def wait until I get my front wheels and tires for the drag set up... I want to have fun, but most of all I want to be safe as possible, all things considered. :read:

You can use your stock from tires/wheel with the bias ply rears.
You may get a bit of sway on the big end.
I have never heard of any one having an accident because of this.
My car was run that way for several years before I bought some skinnies for the front as was Jeffs and many others.
You will be fine.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
My car was run that way for several years before I bought some skinnies for the front as was Jeffs and many others.
You will be fine.

It might be a little odd at first, but I've done it numerous times. When it starts to sway too much, it's most likely due to the sidewall breaking down.

MikesCobra

Established Member
You will be fine.

Thank man, you are always very willing to help me and other guys out. Class act.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread