Draining Anti-Freeze Help??

Lprimo

PhotoChop Cookie Masta
Established Member
I just drained my anti-freeze in my 03 Cobra....how do i get the air out of my hoses?? is there a bleed valve that i didnt see...

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
i just filled it to full, ran it for 10 mins a few times until all the air was out and it no longer required me filling it to full. :)

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by Lprimo
I just drained my anti-freeze in my 03 Cobra....how do i get the air out of my hoses?? is there a bleed valve that i didnt see...

Front driver side of the blower, horizontal black water pipe has a burp plug with a 1/4" drive in the middle.

Use a STRONG ratchet and release anti-clockwise. Fill through the radiator until full. Tighten the plug. Run the motor until warm and slowly release the plug until all the air is out. Repeat until done.

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
Re: Re: Draining Anti-Freeze Help??

Originally posted by hmwave
Front driver side of the blower, horizontal black water pipe has a burp plug with a 1/4" drive in the middle.

Use a STRONG ratchet and release anti-clockwise. Fill through the radiator until full. Tighten the plug. Run the motor until warm and slowly release the plug until all the air is out. Repeat until done.

Agreed on the strong ratchet.

However, fill the coolant tank until full, then through the plug mentioned by hmwave. Here's the text from the service manual:

1. Check all hose clamps for correct tightness. Make sure the radiator drain**** is closed.

2. Place the heater temperature selector in maximum cool position.

3. Remove the pressure cap from the cooling system reservoir and the fill plug from the engine crossover tube.

4. CAUTION: Do not fill the cooling system through the reservoir only. Coolant will not enter the engine. Only the reservoir and the radiator will be filled and engine and overheating will occur.

Add coolant into the fill neck on the engine crossover tube until coolant reaches the top of the fill neck on the cooling system reservoir.

5. Install the cooling system pressure cap on the reservoir.

6. Continue to fill the cooling system at the engine crossover fill neck until full.

7. Install the engine crossover tube fill plug.

8. WARNING: To avoid the possibility of personal injury or damage to the vehicle, do not operate the engine with the hood open until the fan has been first examined for possible cracks and separation. CAUTION: If the engine temperature gauge does not move, coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow to cool, and fill the cooling system as outlined.

Run the engine until the thermostat opens (coolant flowing through the radiator lower hose becomes hot).

9. Stop the engine and allow to cool.

10. Add coolant to the engine crossover tube fill neck until the cooling system is full.

11. Install the fill plug.

12. Repeat the fill procedure if necessary.

--Mike

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
When I did my 98, I found it easier and quicker to have the front end up on ramps. This seemed to facilitate the burping process. Also, I used a thin film of antisieze on the plug threads.

Users who are viewing this thread