Draining Radiator, what's up with this strange petcock valve

texas_snake

Established Member
It seems Ford intended to have a special tool to remove the petcock on the radiator on the passenger side. The thing is nothing like what I am used to. It is kind of rubbery and you have to turn it far and then it pops over and over (keeps flexing). What's up with this thing, I feel I am going to break this off. Any tips. Should I look for a special tool vs, very larger standard screwdriver.

Thanks.

MG0h3

Established Member
It may be the type you turn 90* and then pull out. Probably then will be like a normal petcock and not come out all the way.

texas_snake

Established Member
So I used a thin metal ruler since it was wide and strong and got the petcock out. Large screwdriver was tearing it up. But it is strange since it never really turns, you twist it to a point and then after enough tension it pops. Did this nearly to the end. Glad it did not break. Going to buy a new one so it is not weak for the future..

Now I just need to clean the mess on the garage floor ;)

mkb116

Established Member
I just had an issue with mine as well. I have a scavenge pump mounted in front of mine which made it a pain in the but. Of course, damaged it it because I can't get anything to install/remove it straight. Got another one coming, $10. I wish it had a little hand tightening head on it.

texas_snake

Established Member
I replaced the plug with a new one and that went in without all the tension build up and popping over and over. Hopefully it will stay that way.

The generic part number seems to be: 61138

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I replaced the plug with a new one and that went in without all the tension build up and popping over and over. Hopefully it will stay that way.

The generic part number seems to be: 61138

yeah that looks like it. you never really have to completely remove them unless you are replacing it or if the rubber gasket goes bad. it's made so if you loosen it to a certain point, it allows the coolant to drain out pretty much in a straight stream

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
When I want to drain the radiator I just separate the thermostat housing. Two bolts sitting right there with easy access. Also, since the thermostat housing has a reusable seal it is a lot easier than messing with the petcock valve in my opinion.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
When I want to drain the radiator I just separate the thermostat housing. Two bolts sitting right there with easy access. Also, since the thermostat housing has a reusable seal it is a lot easier than messing with the petcock valve in my opinion.

i do that too, but once when i did that, let it drain, and then removed the radiator petcock, a surprising amount of coolant came out there too

Users who are viewing this thread