Draw through converting to blow through

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
When converting from draw through to blow through is it safe to drive on the blow through set up using the draw through tune to the tuner as long as you dont get into boost? Also how much does the conversion effect the previous tune?

01yellercobra

Established Member
You'll be fine. I ran around on my draw through tune for a couple of days before tweaking it for the blow through set up.

Furinox

Established Member
Mine ran horrible after I started it up after the conversion. I had the 2 pipes pre made that I needed to switch out and just drove to the tuner as draw through then switched to blow through when I got there.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
On a side note, if you are using a 90MM LMAF, you're probably aware of the adapter that bolts on to the one side of the MAF so you can connect the boost tube to it. This is a very serious weak point that needs to be looked at if you are using this setup for a blow-thru.

The problem is that the mating surface on the MAF is not very large because it's designed to be bolted to an air box. On the outside, it looks just as big as the flat mating surface on the adapter, but on the inside, it's a small circular mating surface that looks like the top of a drinking glass. There's only about 3 or 4MM of actual contact area around the MAF, and the gasket will leak VERY EASILY. With a blow-thru MAF setup, this area is pressurized and can leak out metered air. You'll lose about 3 LBS of boost and have awful driveability.

I found this out when I tried to clean my MAF to fix the driveability issues. The only way I could figure to solve the problem once and for good was to JB Weld the two pieces together. That worked.

Homer

01yellercobra

Established Member
what is the advantage of a blow through setup?

Better driveability and no dealing with backwash over the MAF. It's also easier to tune. At least it was for me.

I picked up a mounting flange from VMP Tuning and attatched it to a piece of pipe. It's the same diameter as the rest of the tubing and no chance for leaks.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Better driveability and no dealing with backwash over the MAF. It's also easier to tune. At least it was for me.

I picked up a mounting flange from VMP Tuning and attatched it to a piece of pipe. It's the same diameter as the rest of the tubing and no chance for leaks.

That's what I am planning on doing, and MAF backwash is why. It is so rediculous I can't even describe it.

Users who are viewing this thread