Dread Terminator Clunk after IRS swap ~ HELP!!

fastferndog

Established Member
Bringing this back from the dead. I sent my center diff to get it rebuilt and it's mounted in the car. I will put in the axles tomorrow and everything. I also sent my aluminum driveshaft to get it shortened. There was no clearance to get this over the pinion nut.

I was going to mention that for some reason... most Cobra IRS diffs, wear out or go out of specs. I believe that I may have to do with the fact it's an aluminum housing and that the average power output from these cars just simply sideload the ring and pinion causing this wear. I've always had to set them up real tight in the .008/.010 range and haven't had any come back yet. I'm not saying that's where you should have yours but I've had good luck this far. If you already replaced all the bushings with quality ones, the only thing left is the diff itself. I've considered the IRS myself but my SRA is already built and can't turn back now. Good luck everyone!!! Please keep us posted!!

cobralvr01

Established Member
So drumroll please!!!! The clunk is gone! But about 5 new noises just popped up. I'm at a loss now. I'm going to throw in the towel and put out a call for help. Anyone reading this in the Phoenix area who can help me out? Beer and pizza is on me.

brucesvt

Established Member
Have you called full tilt boogie. When I had my cobra they helped me out to fix the issues... also just sell your car to me haha I am in El Paso Tx

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
So drumroll please!!!! The clunk is gone! But about 5 new noises just popped up. I'm at a loss now. I'm going to throw in the towel and put out a call for help. Anyone reading this in the Phoenix area who can help me out? Beer and pizza is on me.

So the main noise is gone, and new ones are there? Step away from it for a day, then go back and recheck your install. Do a nut and bolt check as well (make sure everything is tightened properly).

cobralvr01

Established Member
It almost sounds like a bad bearing, but the bearings are perfectly fine. I think there's some rubbing going on with the driveshaft/exhaust, and tires/e-brake cable. I just bought my first house so I've been busy with it. I'm going to get it up on jacks again next weekend to see what's going on. But yes, the clunking is gone!

cobralvr01

Established Member
Well I got it up again and went through every bolt to make sure it's tight. Everything was to spec. So now I'm out of options. It looks like I'm just going to have to take it to a shop and have them look at it.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Have a look at it again. Double check the shimming on the pinion bushings as well.

Have a look at FTBRs install instructions again for ideas that might have been overlooked when you checked things over. Better than paying someone else right now.

Users who are viewing this thread