Dreaded tick

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Looks like after 55000 miles the driver side head started ticking. I im covered on my ext warranty until 60000. So I hope the dealer will fix it without giving me shit about my Offroad midpipe and weldin flows, jlt cai.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
ScottsMach03 said:
Looks like after 55000 miles the driver side head started ticking. I im covered on my ext warranty until 60000. So I hope the dealer will fix it without giving me shit about my Offroad midpipe and weldin flows, jlt cai.
They shouldn't...intake and exhaust airflow has nothing to do with the tick. They ahve to prove that those mods caused it.

SOrry to hear it.

alaskablkmach

Established Member
It wont go way. I got a new motor and it still does it but I said screw it and keep it like it is. I havent lost power or anything it is just annoying.

STG

Banned
I always get a laugh when somebody says, "they have to prove that those mods caused it." Theoretically, that's correct. The real world is a little different.

If Ford denies your warranty claim, just what do you think is the next step? YOU have to seek arbitration or take them to court. If anyone believes they can show up in court and just say, "Your Honor, Ford has to prove the problem was caused by my modifications" and walk out with a judgement is dreaming.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
alaskablkmach said:
It wont go way. I got a new motor and it still does it but I said screw it and keep it like it is. I havent lost power or anything it is just annoying.

When my 03 Cobra started doing it FORD replaced the left head under the TSB and it completely fixed the problem. Not sure if the TSB covers all 4v motors or just the Cobra. You may be covered under the TSB which has nothing to do with your warranty.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Jared Ezzell said:
better put cats on it my car went in for the transmission and they tried to void my warranty for o/r x pipe

That blows man.....some stealerships care some don't. It might be worht a phone call or 2 to find one that doesn't.

I had really good luck with my modded Cobra. I even asked the service manager if I needed to "de-mod" it prior to the appointment to change my left head and he said it wouldn't be a problem. Is this always the case- probably not, but it does happen.

Last edited:

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Id take the time and put everything back to stock even down the oil filter and spark plugs, if you plan on going to the dealer looking about a new engine....

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Well, Didn't matter that I had o/r xpipe, or my cai. They blamed the noise on my Sparkplug. Said my plug came out of the threads. Ford said they wont warranty it because i was runnin NGK'S. Im taking the car to my local mechanic to put a insert in there.

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
ScottsMach03 said:
Ford said they wont warranty it because i was runnin NGK'S. Im taking the car to my local mechanic to put a insert in there.

Wow. That same thing happened to my sister's 96' Cobra - a plug popped out, and Ford denied the warranty claim based on non-factory spark plugs. After two months of arguing back and forth with Ford, the car finally got fixed via heli-coil. Shortly thereafter, my sis sold the car and hasn't bought a Ford since.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
todd4566 said:
Wow. That same thing happened to my sister's 96' Cobra - a plug popped out, and Ford denied the warranty claim based on non-factory spark plugs. After two months of arguing back and forth with Ford, the car finally got fixed via heli-Maycoil. Shortly thereafter, my sis sold the car and hasn't bought a Ford since.

I think it has more to do with ford putting 3 threads in the heads for the spark plugs holes. Maybe thats why Ford changed the design of the head after 2003 and put 9 threads in.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
A buddy of mine has the head tick extremely bad... He's probably going to end up getting them CNC machine ported. Will this rid him of the tick?

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Our Mach had this problem also. Took it to Ford and they replaced the left head. 75 miles later, the right head started to tick. Took the car back to Ford, they replaced the right head. The left head proceeded to tick around 120 miles later. Took the car to Ford for a third time, they replaced both heads. Now it doesn't tick, except for really hot days, but the ticking will come and go.

Mach Daddy

Life Is Mach1derful !!!
Established Member

A couple of years ago I thought I had the "tick" ... turned out to be a bad bearing. I just used it as an excuse to put in new cams, port/mill/polish the heads, and do a triple-angle valve job. :shrug:

eleanor68

Established Member
13k tick

my brother in law has 13 k on his mach and just today asked about the tick sound.. Sounds like it is not just for the cobras then huh. Will ford honor themselves by fixing a known problem on a bone stock car with such few miles, even though he doesnt have the extedended warranty? Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread