Drive shaft noise

Walk2Much

Established Member
I've been hearing a clunking noise coming from the rear end. I can hear it while I'm cruising and I let off the gas and then press it again. I also hear it when I'm shifting gears and let out on the clutch. And I'm pretty sure I hear the same clunk when going over bumps.

Here's a video and you can hear the "clunk" noise I am talking about. I backed the car up on some ramps and left it in neutral with the parking brake on. I couldn't get any movement from the shaft when pushing/ pulling up and down and left and right.

Please take a look and let me know what you guys think.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8674/u7m.mp4

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're hearing a noise that wasn't present before, you probably have something going on. What mods have you made to the rear end, rear suspension or shifter? I have a noise that has surfaced that is similar on quick on/off throttle, that I will be tracking down, but I think it's related to one of my mods.

What I see in your video looks like normal drivetrain backlash.

Walk2Much

Established Member
I have an frpp short throw shifter, steeda lca,uca, adj panhard bar/brace and eibach springs. Hopefully I will be able to get it on a lift this and recheck everything.

Black Sex

Established Member
My car does the clunk that feels like it's in the rearend when I get on and off the gas while cruising

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
What are you're mods? It may just be the nature of the beast. Mine didn't start doing this (or I didn't notice it) until a couple weeks after I put the DSS carbon fiber shaft in. I'm going to retorque the upper and lower control arms to make sure something didn't loosen up to be causing it. I re-torqued the driveshaft and it didn't make any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread