Drive Shaft rubbing

Rel

Established Member
My Driveshaft is rubbing my emergency brake bracket and cables.
I already had them cut out the inside metal of it. But its still rubbing.

I also noticed when the car was in the air that the driveshaft is moved over towards the passenger side. Im sure that is not normal.

What could cause this? And what needs to be done.

Mods in sig

Rel

Established Member
Also alittle while ago my e brake stopped working and the noise is alot louder.

RubberDown

the MAD hatter
Established Member
sounds like you had a hard launch at some point that shifted the diff to me... but im not an expert. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Rel

Established Member
Only thing different is I had the car towed recently and maybe the suspension has settle but either way the driveshaft is way to much to the passenger side.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea my driveshaft rubbed so bad on my ebrake it snapped the cable one time.. and ruined my d/s. Now I have to buy another one..

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I had the same issue, i just grinded the ebrake tab down enough to where there wasnt any issues, also is your car on a free lift? or a wheel lift, if its a free lift it could just be that one side of your suspension is worn from time or abuse, you probably need to grind more of the lip off you can get some plastic retainers that screw into your floor pans and run the cable through that and just remove the lip completely. You want that fixed soon, a snapped D/S aint pretty

My94GT

Established Member
i just bent mine around till they were out of the way. if anything ill hammer out around them and bend them up higher.

Rel

Established Member
How do I check th lower control arm bushings?
Someone said it could be my engine mounts?
I have new ones.. I will install them tommorrow.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
It's not going to be your engine mounts. They can't tilt the driveshaft up far enough to touch the tunnel. I don't even think your trans mount could do that.

And also, you shouldn't need to grind or smash on anything either. It came like it is from the factory and it didn't contact then.

To check your bushings, put it up in the air on a drive on lift, or a rack you can get under, and with the car in neutral, rock it back and forth while looking at the bushings. You should see the arm itself moving a whole lot and the bushing moving very little. In fact you might see the bushing literally hanging out of the arm and won't even need to rock it at all.

Rel

Established Member
Any idea what else it could be?
Im gonna get stock replacements lower control arms from my friends wrecked car.

Anything else it could be?

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
A damaged subframe. Ask Tabres about that one. Trust me, this is not an abnormal thing for these cars....

Rel

Established Member
My car has damage to the rocker panel under the passenger side door but alittle furthur back.. It didnt come into the car just exterior(pushed up alittle) from what I can see..

How do I check subframe and if it is messed up what are my costs to fix. I can take pictures tommorrow.

Rel

Established Member
IMG00018.jpg

IMG00021.jpg

IMG00022.jpg

IMG00020.jpg

IMG00019.jpg

Pictures of underneath tommorrow

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Ouch, my factory DS rubbed the brake cable; it wore a groove and stopped rubbing on it. I assume one of the biggest problems is the car is slammed; not a worry anymore though.

Rel

Established Member
Tell me about it... If it wasnt for the driveshaft rubbing I would of never found out.

Users who are viewing this thread