driveline lash + rear end gear setup

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
has anyone noticed a big improvement (reduction) in driveline lash and clunking after you get your rearend gears installed? it seems like they are set up with a pretty big backlash tolerance from the factory. If you've done a rear end swap, post your backlash settings (before and after if you got them) and whether or not you feel an improvement.

hatsharpener

Established Member
I don't have numbers (before or after). Mine clunks less with the 4.56s than with the 3.27s, but, it does seem to clunk harder when it does clunk, if that makes sense.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I put my 4.10's in the slobra. The clunk was gone after i put them in i set the back lash at 5. I have not had a clunk since the gear install.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
not too sure of the factory spec but mine was not set up right at all. would clunk all the time

RoyWoods

Established Member
Factory spec (backlash between differential ring gear and pinion teeth) is: 0.008" - 0.013." The "Preferred Backlash" is 0.010." This is according to the Ford Factory Service Manual.

I have no idea what mine were originally, but my 4.30's are set up with 0.010" of backlash. That's as tight as he could get it and still have a good pattern. From what I've read I think you'd like to have between 0.006"-0.008."

Users who are viewing this thread