Driveline "slop" after LCA install

cold12pk

Established Member
New member here...I recently installed UMI lower control arms and relocation brackets in an effort to improve my 60ft times. Car was lowered on Roush springs before LCA change.
After LCA install I have noticed a "clunk" on most shifts (manual trans). I am confident everything is tight as far as the LCA and bracket install and attribute the noise to driveline lash, but it is very noticeable and more than I would have expected.
Anyone else had this issue after LCA install? Will upgrading the UCA help any?
I haven't had a chance to test it at the track with DR's yet, but I like the "tighter" feeling from the year.
Thanks!

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
i also have umi LCAs but my clunk is only when i hit some bumps. i also did pro kit springs at the same time so that might be an issue.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Did you torque the LCA's with the car in the air? Your suspension must be loaded at full weight before you torque these items.

Also, keep in mind that with a swap like this you WILL add NVH to your vehicle. The bushings are much harder (solid in some cases) than the soft rubber the factory uses to reduce NVH.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Did you torque the LCA's with the car in the air? Your suspension must be loaded at full weight before you torque these items.

That would be correct IF the new LCA's came with the same type of bushing that is on the stock LCA's. The stock LCA's have a rubber bushing that is molded to the steel bushing that the bolts go through, and they act as a spring, so the suspension needs to be preloaded before tightening. The new LCA's use poly bushings so they dont bind to the rear or body, so no preloading is required.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That would be correct IF the new LCA's came with the same type of bushing that is on the stock LCA's. The stock LCA's have a rubber bushing that is molded to the steel bushing that the bolts go through, and they act as a spring, so the suspension needs to be preloaded before tightening. The new LCA's use poly bushings so they dont bind to the rear or body, so no preloading is required.

You learn something new every day!

cold12pk

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guy's. Sometimes I notice the same clunk when going over bumps.
Confident everything is properly torqued. It's not a big deal, but I did not notice this noise at all with the stock LCA's.

carlca001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

grnenvy

Established Member
It's not the Brackets it's the bushings in the lower control arms. Can u also hear more NVH at high speeds? If not listen for it next time your on the highway doing around 75. There's nothing like the factory parts to keep a car nice and quiet.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
check were the swaybar rides right next to the relo brackets and make sure the swaybar isnt touching

Users who are viewing this thread