Driveline vibration help!?!

Soybean55

Established Member
hey guys trying to diagnose and figure out what I need to fix driveline vibration. Car has recently received steeda shocks,struts,springs,new wheels and tires, mcleod rxt, and steeda adjustable panhard. Ivehad all 4 wheels balanced and alignment done. vibration occurs at about 60mph and gets worse as speed increases if I put car in neutral it still vibrates.since I do mostly highway driving at 70+mph this is absolutely a PIA im assuming it is driveshaft related (pinion angle?) but im unsure car has 20k. ive also read on here someone saying to rotate driveshaft 1/4 turn helps but not sure if that's correct.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
check your driveshaft carefully. the symptoms you describe are indicative of an unbalanced shaft. there are weights on the shaft that balance it if they have fallen off it will cause your issue for sure. rotating the driveshaft cant hurt but check those weights while you are under there. if one or more is missing you should see a spot (or two) on the shaft where they were located.

Soybean55

Established Member
Thanks for the reply never even thought of this where would the weights be located? Is this common I really haven’t drove the car that hard

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
not sure if it has anything to do with steering but I did a TSB for an EPAS on mine which fixed my issue mine is an 11 not sure when this one was corrected in later years. But just went to my dealer said I needed TSB for EPAS due to wheel shake and it was as good as new when done. Good luck

Soybean55

Established Member
not sure if it has anything to do with steering but I did a TSB for an EPAS on mine which fixed my issue mine is an 11 not sure when this one was corrected in later years. But just went to my dealer said I needed TSB for EPAS due to wheel shake and it was as good as new when done. Good luck

Thanks for the reply correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the 07-10 dont have the epas and are hydraulic style my vibration is coming through the floor board and shakes the passenger seat

merkyworks

Established Member
Two thoughts...

1. New wheels - Did you take off the OEM washer located on the wheels studs. Sometimes these can make the wheel not sit flush against the rotor and would cause an imbalance/vibration.

2. New clutch - The driveshaft would have been removed to do this, so maybe the shaft was installed 180* out when reinstalled. Also could be a driveshaft bolt that isn't torque fully or something.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Another thought on the driveshaft. If you're running the factory two-piece, did you replace the spacers at the joint in the middle of the driveshaft?

Soybean55

Established Member
Yes I did remove the washers clips from studs not sure about the spacer but I doubt the shop replaced it when installing clutch I’ll check the bolts when My next day off. Arent the pinion side like 46lbs and transmission is 37lbs/ft
or something?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
One more thing to check is driveshaft to diff angle. If the new springs lower the car you'll need an adjustable upper control arm to correct the angle of the driveshaft. BMR has a great video on the subject.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I <3 my CV rear joint on my Alum driveshaft. don't have to worry about any of that pinion angle nonsense. :D

Now, Im not accusing anyone, but if that driveshaft got accidentally dropped after it got pulled and before it got installed its a paper weight. At least according to Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread