Drivers Side window goes too far UP!

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
Just wondering if anybody else here has run into this: The drivers side window on my '04 cobra will go past the normal stopping point going up. It goes up so far that the door won't shut right. Is there a stop on the inside in the window channel or is it internal to the window motor?

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
Just wondering if anybody else here has run into this: The drivers side window on my '04 cobra will go past the normal stopping point going up. It goes up so far that the door won't shut right. Is there a stop on the inside in the window channel or is it internal to the window motor?

You have 6 adjustments.
Glass tilt and height for front and back and front/back window track adjustments.

(going from memory)
On the very top of the door ledge are the glass tilts and then a few inches below them should be the glass height stops. Very easy.

The hard part is taking the door apart without breaking clips. Use a flat blade screwdriver and carefully pry up the control panel (there is a slot space where you can stick the screwdriver). In front of the space is a clip and you have to gently pry it up or it will break. Then there should be a couple screws under the panel. There should be a push pin on the side in front of the lower speaker on the lower door panel that needs to be removed. Then you should be able to gently pull up on the door panel and then move the panel around and wiggle it around the door handle. When you put the door panel back, wiggle it around the door handle, place it a little high against the door and slide it back down into place. If you force the panel into place, clips will break. If it doesn't want to go back on, lift it back up and try it again.

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
thanks blownshift. do you know if the mach speaker thats at the top corner of the door will interfere with pulling the door panel off?

BlownShift

Established Member
the speakers don't get in the way.. the panel only slides up maybe 1/2" and then pulls out towards you

I made a mistake on removing the control panel..
on the top of the control bezel, above the window buttons is a recessed spot where you can use a flat screwdriver (be careful not to scratch anything with the screwdriver) or maybe your finger nail. Pry that out toward you. Then the plastic tab with the spring clip should be on the rear of the bezel (toward the rear of the car) of where you put your hand to close the door. You can't see it but it should be between the end of the bezel and where you put your hand. Gently pry up on the rear of the bezel with your fingers, even stick a flashlight and look for that clip so you know where it's at. When you get some space between the rear bezel and the door panel by prying it up with your fingers, you could stick the screwdriver in and behind that tab and gently pry up. Be careful not to scratch/nick the door panel/bezel with the screwdriver. Pay attention to the topside of where that clip is. If the clip won't release you could start seeing stress marks on the topside (just before the clip breaks!)

BlownShift

Established Member
You could possibly pop out the door handle bezel from the door panel to remove the door panel easier but the door handle bezel would probably just end up getting knicked up.

You can remove the two screws on the control panel to release it from
the control panel bezel and then feed the control back in the door or
I think you can just wiggle the control bezel with the wires attached
through the hole in the door panel.

So when you pull the panel up, then pull towards you, while feeding
the control panel through the hole and while wiggle the door panel
around the door handle.

Juruense

Banned
It always takes me a couple tries to get the door panel back on correct/perfect. Make sure you get it on there correct do it as many times as necessary and do not break any of the 12 plastic hooks that hold it on. I have pictures of this stuff from when I did my windows regulator replacement I am looking for them...

Also, if when you slam the door you can hear the window glass rattling when the window is down... Now is the time to tighten up that glass while you are in there.

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
Thanks alot for the input, guys!!! I'm gonna pull it Monday when I get off work, I'll post up if I need any more help.

Users who are viewing this thread