Driveshaft, correct pinion angle, wobbly driveshaft, wobbly front wheels

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I was hoping maybe ya'll could help me with an idea of what to do here. I am going to replace my driveshaft with a DSS one piece at some point, but the money isn't there yet. I also just dropped money on an AED tune, so excited for that.

Anyway, last time I remember having the rear of my car up on jackstands before installing my UCA plus bracket, both BMR, and then having the pinion angle fixed, even with my low drop with the H&R SS springs, with the wheels off the ground, e-brake off, I could let the clutch out and the wheels would turn on their own and just spin.

So I noticed post getting my pinion angle aligned to -2 that the car would kind of wobble in the front. They did a front end alignment too for me with less negative camber I think so I wondered if it was just because of that. Now I am starting to not think so. I had replaced my diff cover about a month or so ago with a Boss 302 cover and changed out the oil, while the car was on jackstands and I had the new oil in and everything sealed, I turned the car on and went to let the back wheels spin off the ground again just to mix everything up since I wouldn't be able to drive it until the next day.

The back wheels would turn but was almost like the car was flinging around a loose sloppy driveshaft as it would spin some then almost stall, spin some then almost stall. I quickly stopped that and put the car back on the ground. Forgot about it until today.

Per BMR, I switched the mounting hole from the one closest to the ground to the upper hole, I had originally found the lower hole with better traction, but since changing some other things BMR recommended I found their recommendation to work great. Here is the thing. I didn't get time to adjust the pinion angle any, so the top of the axle got rotated a little further forward to the front of the car in that process. So if I am not being brain dead right now, it got more negative? I was set at exactly -2 at ride height by the shop that aligned it for me.

Now the weird "pulsing" like feeling driving is worse. I have 3.73 gears and 40-45 mph in 6th gear around 1100-1200 RPM you can feel it really bad. Kind of like there is a weight in the middle of the axle and the axle is curved when resting and you can feel the car flinging the weight around and around. Driving at 80 in 6th gear I can't feel that weird driveshaft issue, but almost feels like the backend is shifting a little back and forth and makes my front wheels wobble like crazy. Thinking back on it, it felt that way before switching holes on my UCA but not to this degree so I think I didn't catch it as acting that way.

so thank you for reading that, my question is this, if that really is the issue, and my stock DS that I am stuck with for right now unless someone wants to send me one for free:beer: is going to behave that way, can I not put the car back up on jackstands, and continue to change the pinion angle more positive until the back wheels spin on their own smoothly and leave it there, even if per BMR instructions I should be between -2 to -3 idealy on my 6MT, but it seems my car currently hates that? Is that ideal for my car, obviously, to ignore what the pinion angle should be and make it exactly what the car likes, even if the car ends up liking +1 or +2?

Thanks for any help anyone may have and sorry for the book. Tired and trying to make sure I get the full story out.

GT915

Established Member
Sure wish you could post a video as I find it hard to visualize what you are talking about. I don't have the uca like you do but I have the rest and have never adjusted the pinion angle. I don't think it changed enough to matter and I have no issues at all. I can't help but wonder if you don't have something else going on. One things for sure, I wouldn't drive it like it is. Good luck and please keep us updated.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
darreng505 said:
I have a slightly used DSS one piece I'll sell you. I just put a new trans in and it required a different shaft.

While I would love to I just don't have the money. I'm gonna mess with the pinion angle when I get home tonight. If I can't smooth out my issue ill post videos up here of what I am talking about.

Trying to describe how it acts is kinda hard.

Posted via Topify using Android

BMR Tech

So, you do not know exactly what the pinion angle is at this moment?

Let's start there, and ensure it is correct, or atleast known.

I recommend, by looking at your sig, a pinion angle of about -1.50 to -2.00

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Did you try the 180 degree flip of your driveshaft? If not set the pinion angle to -1.5 and flip the driveshaft at the rear 180 degrees see if you have the vibrtions!

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
BMR Tech said:
So, you do not know exactly what the pinion angle is at this moment?

Let's start there, and ensure it is correct, or atleast known.

I recommend, by looking at your sig, a pinion angle of about -1.50 to -2.00

Yeah not anymore. I know it was at -2 before the drop and still acting goofy. I'll definitely go closer to -1.5 and see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation!

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
blackbeast12 said:
Did you try the 180 degree flip of your driveshaft? If not set the pinion angle to -1.5 and flip the driveshaft at the rear 180 degrees see if you have the vibrtions!

I didn't because I never messed with the stock driveshaft. Its never been removed before etc. Its almost like the middle of the driveshaft that flexes/bends is bent or hanging down and when it turns instead of turning like a solid axle it turns as two separate pipes both angled away from each other and you can feel it kinda chucking the drive shift around.

I'll video the way it acts tonight before changing the pinion angle.

Users who are viewing this thread