Driving the Cobra in the Snow

Ryushin

Established Member
Due to factors this year, my Subaru SVX beater had to be put out to pasture a few months ago. I really had no choice but to drive the Cobra in the snow this winter. So after a few Denver snow storms and I can now give an opinion about driving the Cobra in the snow.

And the verdict is ..... It drives lot better in the snow and ice then I thought it would. But there are a few caveats that have to be spelled out first.

The only thing on your car that touches the road is your tires. I know summer tires are absolutely horrid in the snow. All seasons are "so-so" on snow and ice. Never bought snow tires as the Triple Tread all seasons on the SVX were good enough. Though on the Cobra I knew they would not be enough. So I researched snow tires and found that the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 to be some of the absolute best. In fact is the tire that is used in the Colorado Steamboat Springs winter driving school. And of course "Jimmy" knows all of this and he himself has said snow tires are a must.

The couple of downsides to snow tires are that they are not as wide as I would have wanted as a 245 is the second largest I've seen and 255 is the largest that I found. The widest Blizzak's are the 245/45R17. It fits on the 17x9 rim but it feels sacrilegious to remove the 10.5's and the 315's from behind the car. The second downside is that because of the deep soft siped tread, they feel squirmy on the street. Though maybe this is what drag radials feel like, though I've never driven on drag radials.

Now about that Ford traction control. Well, it rocks on snow and ice. Hands down it does a great job. It detects side ways drift and excessive wheel spinning and compensates in a controlled manner. A lot of times is so good you don't even know is happening until you see the light come up on the dash.

With the snow tires and the traction control, driving on snow and ice is pretty easy. In fact a lot of the time it grips like you were driving on just a wet road and not snow or ice. If anyone has seen this [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5exATIaQiI"]YouTube - 20 Car Pile up P.1 - Ian Smith[/nomedia] video from Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago, I'm convinced that none of them had snow tires. I drove in the snow and ice that day when everyone was spinning out and couldn't accelerate, I had no issues whatsoever. Just kept the torque and the rpms down when I wanted to get going and everything was great. Slamming the breaks caused the ABS to activate in a very controllable manner and the snow tires caused the car to come to a quick stop. Now I have to be worried about the people behind my car slamming into me.

I can stress enough the incredible grip you get from these tires. It's unreal. I was so impressed I immediately bought a set for my wifes '07 Acura MDX.

So in summery, driving the Cobra in the snow is very possible, as long as you take the right precautions and use the correct tools for the job.

Last edited:

haskett

Established Member
I drove my Cobra in the snow in CT one time with summer tires. I was sliding curb to curb for the entire 20 mile trip and was amazed I didn't wreck the car. From then on, I was very careful about watching the weather forecast before taking the car into the office.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Yep snow over an iced over street = FAIL to anyone and everyone! Even 4x4s with snows!

However if you live in a snowy area and have to be able to get to work every day, then you need to buy 4 Blizzaks or 4 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R full snow tires.

Nokian Tyres North America

I lived and worked in Syracuse NY for the first 43 years of my life, and ice raced for 5 years there also. I know a little about driving in the snow.
I and most of the local police departments used to run Goodyear F32 snows in the 80s, don't know if they still make them but they were excellent too.
It really is all about the tires!:thumbsup:

GREAT POST Chris!!!:rockon::beer:

Last edited:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Nice write up.

Wow, another Colorado Cobra guy. I was underneath my Cobra all weekend inspecting everything, tightening anything loose, and changing almost all fluids.

I cannot:

A. Believe how clean it is for 32k miles.
B. Imagine driving it in the snow.

Ryushin

Established Member
Nice write up.

Wow, another Colorado Cobra guy. I was underneath my Cobra all weekend inspecting everything, tightening anything loose, and changing almost all fluids.

I cannot:

A. Believe how clean it is for 32k miles.
B. Imagine driving it in the snow.

A. At this point with the snow, I can't believe how dirty the Cobra is.

B. It's better in the snow then I would have imagined. The last rear wheel drive cars that I drove in the snow was my '67 coupe, '66 GT, '70 Coupe, and '65 Fastback in the snow. Those cars really sucked in the snow because only one rear wheel was turning. Not to mentioned I had all seasons on them.

Ryushin

Established Member
Yep snow over an iced over street = FAIL to anyone and everyone! Even 4x4s with snows!

However if you live in a snowy area and have to be able to get to work every day, then you need to buy 4 Blizzaks or 4 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R full snow tires.

Nokian Tyres North America

Never heard of Nokian. Going to have to do some research on those. It's so great seeing you here more often Jimmy. Your track and general car wisdom is very much appreciated.

gargstang

Established Member
I haven't driven a Mustang in the snow since I had my 94 GT. Bummer you had to. The snow hasn't been to bad on the north side of Denver.

stangposse

Established Member
The only way my Cobra sees the snow is the day my house is burning and I have to back it out of the garage.

If my daily went down, I'd buy a $500 beater every month until the weather cleared up.

In any event, be careful and don't wreck your car!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Never heard of Nokian. Going to have to do some research on those. It's so great seeing you here more often Jimmy. Your track and general car wisdom is very much appreciated.

Thank you for those kind words.:beer:

I didn't run in the rubber to ice class in Ice Racing back home I ran screwed tires, in the studded class, but I was aware of what those guys were using.
In that hobby you learned all about tires ASAP or you ran at the back.

Those two brands were dominant in the rubber to ice classes.(non-studded)

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
These cars equipped with snow tires will take on snow no problem. More than 4 winters have been handled flawlessly with mine.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
New Hampshire here...I bring the Cobra out when the roads are absolutely clear and get an undercarriage wash each time. I did get stuck driving in the beginning of a surprise snow storm once on the way from work; it was just starting to settle on the highway and I wasnt bad but as soon as I got it into town I was fishtailing and spinning second on granny shifts. I parked it at Rite-Aid, told the employees, called my gf, and picked it up the next day when it was clear.

I did however drive my Lightning for two winters. F-150 16" alloys, snow tires, and four sandbags in the bed and it was MINT. Never had a problem in blizzards, and when my douchebag landlord didnt plow in the morning. I told the guy who bought it that I drove it a cpl winters and he was shocked at the great shape it was in =)

bigmoose

Established Member
+1, Blizzaks are awesome, i run them on my 1997 Civic beater.

Its not the snow i'm worried about, its the massive amount of salt thats used around here.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
good write up, it sucks you have to drive it in the snow but its great that its not and absolute nightmare in the bad weather. my father told me that having a wider tire in the snow and rain etc. will make it handle worse due to the weight of the car being spread out over such a wide area making it suck it bad weather. if thats true its probly better the biggest tire you could get is a 255

Users who are viewing this thread