Drone

montanagrog

Established Member
Who has an exhaust system that does not have the hiway drone? Looking to go with off-road h-pipe, shorty's, and a quiet, but louder when opened up, muffler (like a Borla). I use the Cobra on hiway trips that are 600-700 miles at a time, and don't want that 'drone' headache. Those that I have rode in, at 70 to 80 mph have the annoying drone, so looking for 'true life' systems that you have experence with that don't.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Good luck in your search. I think that just about every aftermarket exhaust system drones on the highway.

BTW, see my sig for my exhaust. I still have factory headers and it drones like a mofo on the highway.

USMCracing

Established Member
My MagnaFlows don't have a drone at highway speeds and it's nice and loud at WOT. Sound is great and the price isn't bad either.

montanagrog

Established Member
Thanks for the replies! OrangeCrush, Flows are what most people have here (2 chamber), and they do drone, they sounds great though. Some here have said that the drone comes more from the h-pipe than the from mufflers. I wonder if that could be the case between the two replys - Mac off-road, stock shorties, against the BBK LT and h-pipe? Has anyone just went to an off-road h-pipe with stock headers & mufflers to compare to? I would like to stay shorties if possible, but if the LT will eleminate the drone I would go to them. USMCracing, I have only ran across one MagnaFlow car here and it was not in the best condition, so I can't say I have seen a good example of that system and will check it out.

Dino S.

Established Member
i have the bbk o/r H and pro-flow catback. It's loud, but no drone on the highway. I also have 3.73's, so i'm well out of drone range at 80 mph. Also the 5.0 drones more than the 4.6

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
You can solve the drone problem inherent in our cars by switching to Long tubes. You can keep the off-road H pipe and there will be no drone at about 1800 rpm which is where the drone occurs. You can pick up a good set of used LT's for under $150. You can then sell your current aftermarket shortys to offset the cost of the LT's.

Users who are viewing this thread