Drop top owners...heater output

CobraVertWV

Gotta have more
Established Member
When driving with the top down and the wind is cool, it would be ideal to have the heat coming out from both the front panel and by your feet. The '03 Mustangs don't have this setting, but the newer Rangers, Explorers, etc. DO have this setting. So I thought I could just swap out the heater control switches. But it isn't that simple...

I got a heater control panel (the one right above the radio in our cars) from a newer Ranger, with a length of the five colored vacuum hoses attached, from the local boneyard. Unfortunately, the backs of the switches where the vacuum hoses plug in are different. If I use the bare hoses off the Ranger switch I can plug them directly into the Cobra vacuum hose connector. The five colors are the same, so I figured that I'd just connect up each color 1 to 1. When I did that, I only got air coming out of the defrost, and only on one or two settings. Nothing out of the other settings. Hmmm...must be more going on here. I tried plugging the hoses in a few different ways, but had no luck. I bet there is some way to do this. If anyone has some words of advice, I'd be happy to try something different. Thanks in advance.

BTW, if my digital camera hadn't just bit the dust I'd post some pix... :rollseyes

Last edited:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Well i would like the same thing here to keep my wify happy

orangeconv

#uck yea doggy
Established Member
get digital from a excursion

if you want to do a swap go with the digital froma excursion and get rid of the dials .
if you figure that one out let me know I want to do it.

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
digital.. I've seen that explained somewhere before.. it's really realyl tough. try mustangworld.com .. it might be there. But it involves more than just the front panel, there's a thermostat switch to install somewhere and many other things, a large PIA, IMO

As for the Air Conditioning @ your feet, I would love it! My expedition didn't do that. I can blow cold air.. but not actual A/C
My feet also get really hot after driving it for a while, so this A/C by my feet would be a big help. Please let me know if you figure it out!

Users who are viewing this thread