Dropping Oil pan on 2002 f150 4.2l

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
:fm:Hey guys need some help. I was changing out the intake gaskets on my neighbors f150 4.2l when the unimaginable happened. A metal ball about 6mm in diameter had fallen into the fuel injector port unbeknownst to me during the operation. I don't know where the hell the ball came from but I sure as hell know where it went. The head and valves survived ok but the piston in number 5 is all cracked and jacked up. So now I need to drop the pan and pull the number 5 piston/rod assy. Ford manual states to remove the engine to get the oil pan out. I'm hoping to not have to do that. Has anyone here ever been able to remove the pan with the engine still in the truck?
Thanks
Lee

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Nobody huh? Well F it! It's coming out tommorow anyway. Looks to be way easier then a Terminator...

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
so how did this turn out for you wjurls? i just noticed this thread or would have responded back then

i had just dropped the oil pan on my 2004 with the 4.6 v8, and yes it gave easy access to the whole bottom end, so i would imagine that a v6 would have even more room

it is necessary to remove the crossmember. and i'm not completely sure but i think that the 10th and 11th generations are similar with regard to that crossmember.

anyway fwiw :beer:

oh yeah i bet waayy easier than a mustang! lol

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I got it all re-installed and buttoned up on Sunday. The truck runs great. Got a new piston from Tousley for $30. Of course I also needed the related head gasket, and head and rod bolts, piston rings, etc. The whole thing probably set me back about no more than $120. It was the time that was a killer. The engine did have to come out to remove the pan. If you read through the ford manuals any combination of f-150 be it V8, diesel, v6 4x4 etc etc.. they all say the pan can be dropped without removing the motor. The only exception was this one. The 2wd V6 f-150. The pan is 6 quarts so it is super deep and bolts to the tranny as well. Also the crossmember sits in the way and there isn't enough clearance to lift the motor high enough to remove the pan. It MAY have been possible somehow but in the end I knew the whole job would be much faster and easier if I just pulled the engine and got it on the stand. As you know on the F150 the engine sits back underneath the cowl. That makes it hard to center the hoist chain for balance on the V6 without damaging the edge of the cowl if you use Fords procedure. Ford has you leave the trannsmission in place and also just remove the mount to k member bolts and lift the engine out. I found that by leaving the mounts in place in the K member and unbolting them from the block instead you are able to slide the engine straight forward away from the tranny and tq converter then you can lift straight up and out. While Fords method may have worked for removal there is no way I could have lined the trans and tq conv back up for re-install due to limited trans clearance (can't lift the front of trans high enough to match the angle the engine has to come in at with mounts attached to block).

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
FWIW I did discover that I can remove the drivers side cylinder head on the 4.2 F150 in just about one hour LOL... Try that on a Terminator!!!

Users who are viewing this thread