Dropping rear IRS, What bushings

bigwave

Established Member
I have a tiny leak on the rear diff cover so I purchased a Ford Racing cover to put on, from what I've read I will have to drop the IRS out of the car to get it on, if I can do this without dropping the whole IRS please tell me how???
But, if I have to drop the IRS I was going to replace the IRS bushings while I had it out, what is reasonable $$$ and works and holds up? Car is driven (about 2500 miles a year) to shows, for fun, and about 10 trips a year down the drag strip, pullied, CAI, and tuned, other wise stock. I've seen kits for $700 plus and kids for less than $100, What works? What do I really need, not every little tiny part but what actually stiffens it up??
Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can drop the center section without dropping the entire IRS. You'll need to pull the half shafts and remove the pinion support brace.

I've run poly diff bushings in the past and currently have aluminum in there. In my 01 I swapped out the cradle bushings for poly, but didn't do the control arms. The cradle bushings made a difference to me. This time around I did all the bushing from FTBR and I'm happy with it. I still had some hop occasionally until I put the coil overs on though.

bigwave

Established Member
On my 99 vert, I did get some wheel hop, on the 2003 coupe I've had zero wheel hop as it is, actually. And it's done some pretty good burnouts, and 8 runs on the 1/8 mile drag strip, 0 wheel hop to this point. Just figured if I'm dropping the IRS why not..... But, I really do not want to drop it all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread