Drum roll and the answer to the myth is....

DolSVT00

Established Member
I even measuerd them, but just by looking at them you can tell.

rod.jpg

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
Glad my truck is a 00, But still the rods are not the reason my truck is still sporting a stock long block with the abuse it has seen.

RedFox

Established Member
Very, very interesting. So the rumor has finally been confirmed.

Can you take some measurements to quantify exactly how much bigger and thicker they are?

Thanks for doing this.

I love my 00.

uncooked

Established Member
Thats very interesting! Always heard this rumor but nothing to back it up.

Still tiny though.... DAM YOU FORD :bash:

BriteRed20s

Established Member
I analysed the pictures of both rods using visible spectrum light wave chromatography and results indicate that the rod on the right is 1% greater in mass at 6.5325" proximal to the wrist pin. However, further analysis revealed the rod on the left was greater in mass by 1.25 gm and had 1.3% greater Chromium content than the rod on the left. these results were reviewed by an independent panel of expert metalurgists and their final determination is:

Both rods came from a 89 Yugo. Sucks that they are in our trucks!

gpro71bird

Need for Speed
Established Member
ummm.....I don't see a difference :shrug: What do they weigh in comparrison to each other? What are the total rod spec's? What is your method of measurement?

Last edited:

DolSVT00

Established Member
I analysed the pictures of both rods using visible spectrum light wave chromatography and results indicate that the rod on the right is 1% greater in mass at 6.5325" proximal to the wrist pin. However, further analysis revealed the rod on the left was greater in mass by 1.25 gm and had 1.3% greater Chromium content than the rod on the left. these results were reviewed by an independent panel of expert metalurgists and their final determination is:

Both rods came from a 89 Yugo. Sucks that they are in our trucks!

Lol you'd be supprised on how close your analysis is................. by my measurements the 00 rod on the web side is only 2mm thicker, the major difference is the big end.

I didn't do a spectro anyalisis like you did though my 30,000$ PMI is on backorder.

Your final determination would be 99% accurate eccept you got the year wrong, it was an 88.

Last edited:

RedFox

Established Member
Lol you'd be supprised on how close your analysis is................. by my measurements the 00 rod on the web side is only 2mm thicker, the major difference is the big end.

I didn't do a spectro anyalisis like you did though my 30,000$ PMI is on backorder.

Your final determination would be 99% accurate except you got the year wrong is was an 88.

You guys are real comedians. You'll be very disappointed to hear that the Yugo just went out of production (in one of the former east block countries) just last week.

Next month will be Detroit...:bash:

DolSVT00

Established Member
ummm.....I don't see a difference :shrug: What do they weigh in comparrison to each other? What are the total rod spec's? What what your method of measurement?

Send me your address, I'll send them to you for free and U can do all that stuff...... I have 15 more 7, 2000's (minus one I broke) and 8, 2002's if anyone else wants to some scientific comparisons. Believe it or not there are differences and at the least I am 100% positive that they were from different suppliers.

All i did was look at em and measure them with a set of verniers (dial calipers) and took pictures.

Now I'm just trying to figure out some creative ways to make ash tray's out of em.

gpro71bird

Need for Speed
Established Member
Send me your address, I'll send them to you for free and U can do all that stuff...... I have 15 more 7, 2000's (minus one I broke) and 8, 2002's if anyone else wants to some scientific comparisons. Believe it or not there are differences and at the least I am 100% positive that they were from different suppliers.

All i did was look at em and measure them with a set of verniers (dial calipers) and took pictures.

Now I'm just trying to figure out some creative ways to make ash tray's out of em.

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. This is your thread ....... Drum roll and the answer to the myth is.... you don't know! :beer:

RedFox

Established Member
About 3-4 years ago, Sal at PSP made the observation that the rods were from different suppliers and had observed over several trucks that the 99-00 rods held together better than the later ones.

Maybe Ford saved 0.50 cents/rod by switching suppliers no doubt Chinese sourced like everything else they've done since. :fm:

gpro71bird

Need for Speed
Established Member
No thats not correct.......... As stated above I am 100% positive that they were from different casting molds.

Please post the engineering data to support your claim. Perhaps you should define what your understanding of the rod myth is......your thread implies that you have data indicating an engineering difference between the rods. Now you say your 100% positive they are from different casting molds. :shrug:

DolSVT00

Established Member
If you want to send me a set I'll do some comparisons and make a write up on it.

Sid, if your really serious, PM me your addy and I will send them to you. I personally could care less about checking them to that extent mainly because they are both still crap. But it seem's as though there are a few on here that really want to know the exact difference :shrug:

I'm convinced that suppliers were different because of the casting difference. As for which one is stronger i go for bigger is better, but as with any metal a bigger cast with a crappier blend would result in bigger but weaker product. I'm just not that interested to find out. I am just merely pointing out the visual inconstancies between the two.

Ither way the offer stands if you want to get some real data

DolSVT00

Established Member
oh, and thats not the only difference between the two blocks ither (besides NVH and Non NVH).... the timing gear behind the balencer was different, the newer block had a raised face gear the old block had a recessed face gear, I can only assume that was from the ballencer change. basicly you can't use a balencer designed for a 01-04 on a 99-00 bottom timing gear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread