Drummers! Ever use a Drum Dial to tune your drums?

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I have problems tuning my kit, i am not tone deaf by any means, ive been playing guitar for 14 years and have been playing drums for 1.5 years now, but i just cant seem to get my kit to where i want it to be. found this gadget and im just curious if you guys have ever used a drum tensioner to tune before or not. Just ordered it Musicians Friend along with some new Aquarian Performance II heads. Also looking into getting some Axis longboards soon as well as my Tama stockers arent cutting it anymore.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
They can be tricky to use as most of em are very sensitive but they do a great job.

The best thing about drums compared to other instruments is that there really isn't a right or wrong way to tune a drum. You experiment until you get the sound you want. You have much more freedom.

On top of that, you can experiment with both the batter and resonating heads. If you want a punchier sound, you tune batter head tighter than the resonator. If you want a deeper, more projected sound, you tune the resonator tighter than the batter.

I'm curious to know how the dial turns out so keep us posted.

Erich

Established Member
You can start by making sure tension is even. Kind of like torquing on a cyl head.
The resonant head can really make a difference x2.
For some reason, I've had frustrating experiences with Aquarian heads. Evans work better for me but everyone is different.
Erich

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
You can start by making sure tension is even. Kind of like torquing on a cyl head.
The resonant head can really make a difference x2.
For some reason, I've had frustrating experiences with Aquarian heads. Evans work better for me but everyone is different.
Erich

It's funny cuz I've had issues with Evans and I swear by Remo haha

Different strokes for different folks! :beer:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Yeah, everyone ive talked to said Aquarians are good heads for playing Death Metal type stuff which is what im into. I am getting the Aquarian performance II heads and the Superkick II heads for the kick drums, ill stick with the Remo Pinstripes for the snare though, those are the best i think. Ill post an update once that stuff gets here. Ive heard nothing but good things bout the drumdial, kinda curious.

Users who are viewing this thread