DSS drive shaft installation

BenV8

Established Member
Hi guys,I planned to buy a DSS aluminium drive shaft and I would like to know if you change the bolts to fix it by more stronger bolts or I can installed the factory bolts?

Many thanks

Ben

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
I think they come with new bolts for the pinion flange. The 4 front bolts can be reused or replaced. I think Ford recommends that they be replaced.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
I think they come with new bolts for the pinion flange. The 4 front bolts can be reused or replaced. I think Ford recommends that they be replaced.

^^^ DSS supplies new 12.9 grade bolts, The transmission flange OE bolts are also 12.9 and I've reused them several times without issue. As long as they're properly torqued, they aren't going to break.

NacsMXer

Established Member
Just curious while we are on topic about the installation: Are you able to remove the factory driveshaft and install the DSS unit without removing the factory mid-pipes? Will it fit between the two pipes?

evil281

Established Member
Just curious while we are on topic about the installation: Are you able to remove the factory driveshaft and install the DSS unit without removing the factory mid-pipes? Will it fit between the two pipes?

I am pretty sure there is plenty of room to get at it while the exhaust is still on. It was a few weeks ago when I was working on the exhaust though so maybe I am not remembering correctly.

hand-filer

Established Member
You can slide it out the back with the exhaust in place (I had the suspension loaded) or you can drop the mid-pipe which makes the whole job a lot easier.

NacsMXer

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I understand it would be a lot easier to remove the mids, but it's kind of a pain getting the tips on the axle back re-centered after you take them off. I was just curious if it was possible with the mids in place.

Users who are viewing this thread