DTC Codes P0148,PO234...Smoke... Clutch

anthony91stang

Established Member
I took the car out for a drive yesterday and was driving through a light cruising at about 35 mph. I pushed the clutch in to slow down and felt a pop. I was still in 2nd gear when this happend. I tried to pull it out of gear and go into 3rd and it would not go into any gear. So I coasted into a parking lot. I figured it was my clutch as it has been acting funny and I have had to adjust it several times. I called a flatbed and as I waited on the tow truck I sat in the car for about 20 minutes at idle with the a/c on. I then turned the car off and walked to grab a snack. I come back 45 minutes later and start the car again and a cloud of smoke comes out of the exaust. I turned the car off immediately. I started it about 15 minutes later to see if there would be any smoke and there was not. I let the car sit over night and before I left for work this morning I started it again and there was just a small amount of smoke. The service engine light is NOT on. I apologize for the book. Any input on this would really help. I ran the codes and this is what I got...

P0148 Fuel Delivery Error
P0234 Engine Overboost Condition

Thank you in advance.

Anthony

mach1033

Established Member
You sure you weren't racing and hit th rev limiter lol? What happened to the clutch? What color was the smoke? What mods if any?

Last edited:

anthony91stang

Established Member
You sure you weren't racing and hit th rev limiter lol? What happened to the clutch? What color was the smoke? What mods if any?

lol... I was not racing the car at all. I was just cruising around. The color of the smoke was white. The clutch had been slipping in 3rd and 4th gear. I have a firewall adjuster so I was always able to adjust the clutch out.Here is the mod list...

Steggy stage IV ported eaton w/ the snout rebuild

BF 2.76 with 4 pc idlers and new style idler bracket

K&N FIPK CAI

MRT Catted H

Borla 14858 CB

SCT Tuner with Custom RWTD tune

new NGK TR6IX plugs

MGW Orange Handle shifter

MGW inner shifter boot

Cobra Bob shifter gasket

Centerforce DF Clutch kit

Ford Pilot Bearing

CF T/O Bearing

McCleod T/O Bearing Retainer

Billetflow firewall clutch cable adjuster

Steeda quick ratio quadrant

MM clutch pedal height adjuster

LDC clutch free-play adjuster kit

Spec Billet Steel flywheel

LDC Cooling Mod

60lb Siemens injectors

Mafia

Billetflow irs brace

mach1033

Established Member
White smoke is one of two things. condensation which is what I think it is or coolant mixing with the oil BAD!!! If that was the case it would be a constant smoke. But to be safe just check the oil dipstick and check for foaming. The overboost condition has to due with the tune. Fuel delivery I'm not sure hopefully it's not a pump going. I re read you mods and you didnt mention whether you changed your pumps? You are def making close to 500 or more at the tires so if you have stock pumps they are def being maxed without at least a BAP.

Last edited:

anthony91stang

Established Member
White smoke is one of two things. condensation which is what I think it is or coolant mixing with the oil BAD!!! If that was the case it would be a constant smoke. But to be safe just check the oil dipstick and check for foaming. The overboost condition has to due with the tune. Fuel delivery I'm not sure hopefully it's not a pump going. I re read you mods and you didnt mention whether you changed your pumps? You are def making close to 500 or more at the tires so if you have stock pumps they are def being maxed without at least a BAP.

Mach,

Thank you very much for the info... I really appreciate it. I hope that it is only condensation. I just had never seen it smoke like that before. Scared me. I will check the dip stick when I get home and let you know what I find. Does the car have to be warm to do this or can I check it without warming up the car?
Thank you once again for the info.

Also... I guess I will need new pumps?? The car made 509 rwhp. The tuner told me I would be fine for now. Guess not. lol

Anthony

anthony91stang

Established Member
I checked the oil and it is very clean. The coolant is clean and green. I did have my wife start the car this morning while I was behind the car and a little white smoke puffed out the exhaust on initial start. The condinsation followed the smoke. I do not know what this could be? Anyone?

Anthony

TRBO VNM

if it just has a little puff and that is it, I would say you are fine. a lot of cars do that and a lot of them have a blue/gray color due to oil. pretty normal for these mod motors. the condensation is normal as well. you can log your car for fuel pump duty cycle and see how your pumps are. you can add a BAP instead of changing the pumps.

mach1033

Established Member
Its condensation. Mine does the same thing on initial start up then go's away. Plus there is no foam in the oil which is also good. So was it your clutch that went bad?

anthony91stang

Established Member
Not trying to be funny but what does the smoke smell like. Gas smell, coolant smell??

The smoke smells like gas. It does NOT smell like coolant.

Quote****if it just has a little puff and that is it, I would say you are fine. a lot of cars do that and a lot of them have a blue/gray color due to oil. pretty normal for these mod motors. the condensation is normal as well. you can log your car for fuel pump duty cycle and see how your pumps are. you can add a BAP instead of changing the pumps.******

I have just never seen my car do this before. Maybe I just never noticed. How do you log the car for fuel pump duty cycle?? I was thinking I just need to get new pumps anyway. I plan on getting a whipple really soon. Depending on what the shop sais about the car.

Quote***Its condensation. Mine does the same thing on initial start up then go's away. Plus there is no foam in the oil which is also good. So was it your clutch that went bad?***

Mach,

I haven't had it towed in as it is not my daily; however I really think it is something with the clutch. When I had it running this morning it sounded like the t/o bearing was out as well. It started sqeeking and when I would push the clutch in it would go away.

Thanks to all you guys for your help. If you guys have any other info please let me know. The white smoke still bothers me because I have never noticed it come out of my car prior to this.

Anthony

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Mine smokes white/condensation on start up and really smells like gas,due to the fact that i`m catless.

mach1033

Established Member
well if you need a clutch I would suggest a Spec 3+. That is the clutch i have and after the break in of 500 miles it feels like a stock clutch. I also put in the 26 spline input shaft.

anthony91stang

Established Member
well if you need a clutch I would suggest a Spec 3+. That is the clutch i have and after the break in of 500 miles it feels like a stock clutch. I also put in the 26 spline input shaft.

Can you give me a link to the exact clutch. I plan on putting in a 26 spline as well. What kind of power will this clutch hold? I plan on upgrading the blower really soon...

Have you heard anything on the Ram clutch for our cars?

Anthony

mach1033

Established Member
I bought my complete clutch set up from Lethalperformance.com Part#SF873FT. It go's for 499.00. Its the 26 spline set up. Also they sell the 26 spline shaft for 269.00. The clutch is rated for 800 foot lb of torque.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
See if the oil smells like gas. Maybe it's the FRPS.
But usually when that goes bad, it will throw a code referencing it. Maybe it's not all the way dead yet, but still causing problems.

anthony91stang

Established Member
See if the oil smells like gas. Maybe it's the FRPS.
But usually when that goes bad, it will throw a code referencing it. Maybe it's not all the way dead yet, but still causing problems.

Thank you very much for this info.

Mach,

Thank you for the info on the clutch. Will I need anything else for this application?

mach1033

Established Member
Thank you very much for this info.

Mach,

Thank you for the info on the clutch. Will I need anything else for this application?

Nope. Just a compentant mechanic to install it. The only other option is getting a new flywheel but it isn't really needed.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
The 26 spline input shaft is a must have, if you are doing the clutch anyway. I was going to use the Spec Stage 2+ in it when it was time to replace the Centerforce. The Stage 3+ is a damn good clutch, as well, from my understanding.

Did you ever get a diagnosis of the smoke? It never smoked for me when I owned it. I hope it is just condensation, and not blow by at the rings, or anything detrimental.

Users who are viewing this thread