Dual Beam HIDs

DE07GT

Established Member
My car has dual beam HIDs from HIDGuy that were installed by the previous owner. When I first got the car they worked fine, but now my high beams stopped working. All other lights (including low beams) work fine, but not the high beams. The light will come on in the cluster and that's it.

Anyone ever have this problem or have any idea how to remedy it? Any help would be great.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I have checked the fuses and they are fine.

Last edited:

ABrown

Established Member
Mine were like this when I installed them... HIDGuy told me to reverse the male connectors in the blue plug that plugs into the stock harness. Leave the middle connector and swap the outside connectors places. There are little tabs at the base of the connectors you have to push down with a nail or the like to remove the connectors from the plug. Good Luck

DE07GT

Established Member
Mine were like this when I installed them... HIDGuy told me to reverse the male connectors in the blue plug that plugs into the stock harness. Leave the middle connector and swap the outside connectors places. There are little tabs at the base of the connectors you have to push down with a nail or the like to remove the connectors from the plug. Good Luck

I'm pretty sure I know which one you're talking about. I'll have to try switching them to see if it helps. Did your high beams work at all before you did that? What I don't get is why they worked before and suddenly stopped working. I hope this will work because I need high beams to pass inspection.

pony23

Established Member
There is a solinoid for the magnet in the high beams. That could have gone bad. The solinoid also has its own fuse inline with it, not sure if you checked that one. You could put 12V to the small wires at the bulb and see if it sucks in the bulb so you will know if its the bulbs.

DE07GT

Established Member
There is a solinoid for the magnet in the high beams. That could have gone bad. The solinoid also has its own fuse inline with it, not sure if you checked that one. You could put 12V to the small wires at the bulb and see if it sucks in the bulb so you will know if its the bulbs.

I know there were 2 inline fuses that were part of the HID wiring that I did check and they were fine. I can't really work on it until I can get the car back up to my Dad's house, but when I do I'll try everything you guys are suggesting. I could use a multimeter to test voltage after the solenoid when I switch the high beams on and off to see if the solenoid is bad.

DE07GT

Established Member
Still haven't been able to do anything about it. Can't drive the car up to my dad's when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground.

DE07GT

Established Member
Ok, now I'm not really sure what the hell is going on. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. It seems like I can turn them on once in awhile, but if I turn them off they won't come back on. Sometimes they'll give a little of a flash but the high beams don't come on. Hopefully someone has any idea of what's going on. I need dual beams to pass inspection. If I can't get this figured out I'll have to switch back to normal headlights.

DE07GT

Established Member
Pretty sure we've fixed it. One of the wires in the plug going into the harness was loose. We tightened it up and used a couple zip ties to make sure they won't separate again.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Pretty sure we've fixed it. One of the wires in the plug going into the harness was loose. We tightened it up and used a couple zip ties to make sure they won't separate again.

I'll have to check that on mine. Got the same prob.

DE07GT

Established Member
I took out the HIDs and put halogens back in so I could pass inspection. We were messing around with them before we took the HIDs out and it seems like the problem had something to do with the ballasts. Whenever they would stop working, it sounded like something was shorting out in the ballast.

Users who are viewing this thread