Dual Fan Heat Exchanger on 99-04 GT

Whinee2v

Established Member
I was trying to find out if anyone has one on their GT. Whether its the one for the Shelby GT 500s, 05 up GTs, 03-04 cobras or the Lightnings. I want to know how the wiring is for the fans mainly. I have a buddy with an 05 GT and 2.6 KB and they have it wired so its on whenever they want it but they alway have it on and it REALLY helps. They also have a bigger intercooler reservior tank. No, I'm not interested in the chiller killer. Any info would help.

NELCO

Established Member
It's real easy I put the dual 11 inch Spal C and R intercooler I got from Van at Revan Racing. I ran a #12 wire from fuse block (disconnect battery) to a switch under the dash. Make sure you install a fuse and then run the wire to the fans. This way you control when the fans are on regardless of of ignition being on.. And yes it helps....................

Whinee2v

Established Member
I'd go with a relay instead of running the power through a switch.

It's real easy I put the dual 11 inch Spal C and R intercooler I got from Van at Revan Racing. I ran a #12 wire from fuse block (disconnect battery) to a switch under the dash. Make sure you install a fuse and then run the wire to the fans. This way you control when the fans are on regardless of of ignition being on.. And yes it helps....................

I'm not a electrical guy at all.... This might be difficult

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
When I get home I'll send you the install thread we made.. It's not to hard to wire it like that either..

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Here's the write up that Unleashedbeast wrote up.. We did it together when I lived in AL:

Revan Racing Dual Fan Heat Exchanger

A huge thanks to Van @ Revan Racing for his support in this project.

On to the install. . .

After getting the car on jack stands so the front wheels and inner fender covers could be removed, the front bumper cover was also removed. The old heat exchanger seen here was not getting the job done, and it's easy to see why. Too small, no direct air flow, etc. The water coming out was so hot, it felt like engine coolant. Not good! At least it made for a good shelf to store my tools on for a minute. :smmon:

2012-05-05_12-17-56_815.jpg

4e629f47.jpg

After getting the fail boat heat exchanger out of the way, I was able to hold the new heat exchanger in place to see how this was going to work. Gray hair is starting to own me. :dw:

DSC00754.jpg

The easiest way was to make upper side brackets to mount to the car's bumper support. These were hand bent and cut, nothing fancy, easy to do. I did discover that the axle weights removed from a 2007+ GT500 made a good bending anvil. Who knew? :-D

Passenger
DSC00763.jpg

Driver
DSC00765.jpg

There are side tabs on the Revan unit that allowed plastic air guides to push pin snap in place. I was able to mark the exact location and use a 5/16" self tap aggressive thread metal screw. The screw was perfect to bite through plastic and secure tightly into the pre-existing hole in the Revan unit.

Driver
DSC00764.jpg

Passenger
DSC00762.jpg

For additional support, we used more of the metal stock to create center load supports. They attach to the Revan unit where the GT500's water pump would normally mount. The other end is attached to the hood latch support. They were painted flat black to look OEM. I would like to add that these supports are optional. The heat exchanger was mounted so firmly with only the outside mounts, it was sufficient. This is almost over kill.

934d6921.jpg

On the driver side of the car is his hefty water pump.

DSC00767.jpg

The fan's primary power wire were zip tied to the bottom system return hose.

18091caf.jpg

The relays were mounted under the fender cover next to the water pump. The fan relay trigger wire was connected to the primary hot wire of the water pump. When the pump comes on, so do the fans. The yellow wires (relay power) were run into the engine bay and connected with their fuse holders at the main distribution relay box.

b6cce24c.jpg

With the car fully assembled again, you can see that the heat exchanger barely drops under the front bumper cover. This isn't an issue, but if it bothers someone, it's capable to mount the unit a little higher.

2012-05-05_16-39-58_860.jpg

NELCO

Established Member
The switch can still short out before the fuse blows. Personally I'd rather keep the high in the engine compartment.

I totally disagree. The only thing the relay does is, It's on off switch to the fans. That means if you energize the relay you turn on the fans. If you install the correct rated switch and protected fuse...No Problem
Nelco

Whinee2v

Established Member
Here's the write up that Unleashedbeast wrote up.. We did it together when I lived in AL:

Revan Racing Dual Fan Heat Exchanger

A huge thanks to Van @ Revan Racing for his support in this project.

On to the install. . .

After getting the car on jack stands so the front wheels and inner fender covers could be removed, the front bumper cover was also removed. The old heat exchanger seen here was not getting the job done, and it's easy to see why. Too small, no direct air flow, etc. The water coming out was so hot, it felt like engine coolant. Not good! At least it made for a good shelf to store my tools on for a minute. :smmon:

2012-05-05_12-17-56_815.jpg

4e629f47.jpg

After getting the fail boat heat exchanger out of the way, I was able to hold the new heat exchanger in place to see how this was going to work. Gray hair is starting to own me. :dw:

DSC00754.jpg

The easiest way was to make upper side brackets to mount to the car's bumper support. These were hand bent and cut, nothing fancy, easy to do. I did discover that the axle weights removed from a 2007+ GT500 made a good bending anvil. Who knew? :-D

Passenger
DSC00763.jpg

Driver
DSC00765.jpg

There are side tabs on the Revan unit that allowed plastic air guides to push pin snap in place. I was able to mark the exact location and use a 5/16" self tap aggressive thread metal screw. The screw was perfect to bite through plastic and secure tightly into the pre-existing hole in the Revan unit.

Driver
DSC00764.jpg

Passenger
DSC00762.jpg

For additional support, we used more of the metal stock to create center load supports. They attach to the Revan unit where the GT500's water pump would normally mount. The other end is attached to the hood latch support. They were painted flat black to look OEM. I would like to add that these supports are optional. The heat exchanger was mounted so firmly with only the outside mounts, it was sufficient. This is almost over kill.

934d6921.jpg

On the driver side of the car is his hefty water pump.

DSC00767.jpg

The fan's primary power wire were zip tied to the bottom system return hose.

18091caf.jpg

The relays were mounted under the fender cover next to the water pump. The fan relay trigger wire was connected to the primary hot wire of the water pump. When the pump comes on, so do the fans. The yellow wires (relay power) were run into the engine bay and connected with their fuse holders at the main distribution relay box.

b6cce24c.jpg

With the car fully assembled again, you can see that the heat exchanger barely drops under the front bumper cover. This isn't an issue, but if it bothers someone, it's capable to mount the unit a little higher.

2012-05-05_16-39-58_860.jpg

Dang, it would be nice if you was still living in AL lol. Thanks for the write up!

Whinee2v

Established Member
133eb1d0e5bd796ec7548f832cfb0022.jpg

Bump, here's the wiring harness guy, two relays and two fuse( mount to a bolts), 4 wires ground to chassis, two plugs to the fans and the Orange wire. The instruction say the Orange wire splice to the intercooler res pump( 07-09 shelby gt500). How would you make this work through a toggle

Mustangtcs

Established Member
The orange wire is the remote-turn-on on lead. You splice the switch into that wire between the pump and the fans. I have an 2005 GT Kenne Bell car with the afco dual fan setup for a GT500. The directions for install is also on American muscle' website. Because my car was not originally supercharged my pump is wired on all the time. I believe but may not be correct that on 03-04 cobras and gt500's that the tune in the computer controls when the pump turns on and off, which will then turn the fans on and off at that time.

Whinee2v

Established Member
I have the 2.1 kb and my old intercooler pump was wired to an ignition wire. I now have a trunk mount tank that Imma wire to a toggle also. So youre basically saying I need to use the Orange wire and splice it to the toggle? Should i use fuse between that?

Mustangtcs

Established Member
If you feed the fans remote on "orange wire" off the power wire from the intercooler pump then yes put the switch in the orange wire. But if you are putting the pump on a toggle also just use that one and it will turn on the pump which will then send power to the fans. As far as relays and fuses on your modified setup, I believe you will be fine because the fans have relays for their power wires themselves and the original instructions are to use the power wire from the pump for the fans in the original manual and there is no relay or fuse there.

Mustangtcs

Established Member
I am basing this off the idea you having everything else properly wired. But then again now that I think about it. I never turn my fans on now that its cold out. My IAT's stay cool with just the pump running so I would have a separate toggle for the fans if I were you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread