Dual Gt Pumps

Boostin01Slobra

Anti-Lag
Established Member
Ok i've read alot of different topics on this. But havent seen any pics or real clear info on whats really needed to make these work in the stock 01 tank setup. Will they just slide in?? both of them? i read where someone run 2 GT pumps with the stock fpdm and it works fine (as long as u dont run the pumps hard).

So basically my question is... could i just Buy the two gt pumps... the DAgustino PPRV delete kit(for 03-04) , drill the basket(front & sides) and wire the pumps in and work? or is there much more involved?

thanks again SVTP

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I was under the impression you needed an 03/04 style tank... but I may be wrong.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
you can run a dual pump setup in a 99/01 tank. you need the top hat for the dual setup though. the stock pump basically sits inside the tank in it's own little sump still when you pull the hat off, where in th dual setup the pumps mount to the hat. because you have to remove the stock pump "compartment" to run the dual pumps you'll need to keep an adequate amount of fuel in the tank at all times to prevent starvation.

Boostin01Slobra

Anti-Lag
Established Member
you can run a dual pump setup in a 99/01 tank. you need the top hat for the dual setup though. the stock pump basically sits inside the tank in it's own little sump still when you pull the hat off, where in th dual setup the pumps mount to the hat. because you have to remove the stock pump "compartment" to run the dual pumps you'll need to keep an adequate amount of fuel in the tank at all times to prevent starvation.

so what you're saying is... run a 03-04 hat and retain the drilled basket?

edit: ok ive read a little more. i see ppl running NE tanks, with the tophat assembly and nothing else. Just make sure to have 1/4 or more when boosting. My question now is... is this oem 03-04 hat a plug & play deal? as far as the plug uptop & then have 2 seperate runs of wire for the pumps underneath??

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
yea a lot of people run the regular tank with dual pumps...i don't know what you mean by drilled basket though.

and yes, both plugs are the same for 01-04 mustangs. the one that actually sits above the tank is the same for 01 and up. the main one thats actually behind the tank(and accesible at all times) is the same for all returnless fuel mustangs(to my knowledge).

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
You can run the 03/04 fuel hat and dual pumps on your tank. You cannot use the basket and you must remove the basket retainer.

As others have said, you will need to stay out of boost if the tank goes below 1/4 tank. The fuel will slosh away from the pumps and cause the engine to stall a bit. I've read where a 1 gal plastic jiffy gas can was cut up and wired into the tank to create a baffle but I don't believe I would trust a $6k rebuild on this.

All this said, you might save for a new 03/04 tank and hat setup, Late model restoration sells them shipped for $650.

Boostin01Slobra

Anti-Lag
Established Member
you have to drill out the welds that hold the retainer in right? and im doing this b/c i thought my fuel line i had put in the tank(NON_submersible) had collapsed or desintegrated .... but now im thinking its the FRPS from the threads i have been reading. not sure tho. they say the rev-limiter will shorten the life of this...and i've been using the two-step alot lately(stock fuelcut based) so idk. I unplug it and the pump primes muchhh quieter than when it is connected, but still doesnt idle for more then about 3 seconds

gmsux

Established Member
No, just break out the plastic basket. definitely use submersible line and route it carefully. With the FRPS, you should get the Kenne Bell FRPS disc. It's $15 and will reduce the extreme spikes in fuel pressure to the frps protecting it. D'agostino sells it now I believe.

Boostin01Slobra

Anti-Lag
Established Member
No, just break out the plastic basket. definitely use submersible line and route it carefully. With the FRPS, you should get the Kenne Bell FRPS disc. It's $15 and will reduce the extreme spikes in fuel pressure to the frps protecting it. D'agostino sells it now I believe.

you know...i WAS gonna run that, but then i read someone posted that they would never consider using this on their, or their customers car....as its just a bandaide fix. i dunno what to think anymore lol so may different aspects.

Ok what i dont get is...when u say break the plastic basket out... doesnt it just slide out with the two push clips?? or is that the pump housing or something? And with the 03-04 hat, they hose will not kink or bend when installed right? as in...the whole tophat is one assembly, unlike our two-piece setup:??: *which i think is what may have contributed to my line kinking)

thanks!

gmsux

Established Member
Right, not the actual basket the pump is in but the basket retainer I guess you'd call it that is in the tank. It will be self evident when you drop the tank.

The disc just significantly reduces the port to the FRPS. It like5/16 stock and the disc is something like 1/16th. The frps will still respond correctly it the pressure spikes are merely dampend

Janstang

Established Member
Mine still had a metal ring down in the tank that the dual pumps would hit on. So, I filled the tank with water and rinsed it out thoroughly(didn't really want to blow up). Took the Dremel with a cutting disc and cut that raised metal portion out. Cleaned the crap out of the tank by rinsing it several more times and fit perfectly. Also, IIRC-if you use an 03-04 dual pump hat and do GT pumps you will need to change the connectors under the hat that plug into the actual pumps themselves.

Boostin01Slobra

Anti-Lag
Established Member
Mine still had a metal ring down in the tank that the dual pumps would hit on. So, I filled the tank with water and rinsed it out thoroughly(didn't really want to blow up). Took the Dremel with a cutting disc and cut that raised metal portion out. Cleaned the crap out of the tank by rinsing it several more times and fit perfectly. Also, IIRC-if you use an 03-04 dual pump hat and do GT pumps you will need to change the connectors under the hat that plug into the actual pumps themselves.

hm. i kinda been thinking about that. that sucks. i basically gotta snip & butt the old connector from the hat to the new one right? you know if the colored wires will match up?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
you don't really need the connectors. you can actually just break the plastic clips and that will expose two female spade connectors. those can directly connect to the pumps

Boostin01Slobra

Anti-Lag
Established Member
you don't really need the connectors. you can actually just break the plastic clips and that will expose two female spade connectors. those can directly connect to the pumps

i mean to plug into the factory harness, up ontop of the tank...

I seen a thread not too long ago that compared the two tanks & everything, and i think it showed the plugs are different shapes?

thanks everyone

Users who are viewing this thread